HELP - Ford Focus 1.6 Burning Oil!

Hi. I am having a significant problem with my 1.6 Ford Focus Zetec engine burning oil and would like to know if anyone has any experience and could suggest what might be the answer.

The first thing that happened was the valve stem went through No 3 piston, which was changed successfully. After running the car for 600 miles, the oil light came on and the engine was empty of oil. After two more strip-downs and rebuilds, we still have the oil-burning problem. It is to such an extent that the oil goes from the top of the dipstick to the bottom in about 200 miles. There are huge plumes of black/blue smoke blowing from the exhaust. The oil is not leaking out and No 2 spark plug only is very oily. So far, we have...

Replaced the valve stem seals Replaced the cylinder head gasket every time the head's been off Replaced the head bolts Changed the cam shaft seals Checked the piston/oil rings, and they were not worn Used a higher grade oil, from 5/30 to 10/30 to 10/40

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions as to what might the problem, please let me know! We have considered that the cylinder head could be cracked and causing the problem. What does anyone else think?

Thanks very much in advance.

From Catterina and poor car :-(

Reply to
Catterina88

Given that you have checked the rings, and you say they are ok- including the oil control ring on number 2, I would imagine the head is cracked, probably around one of the valve guides, or the one that failed.

Broken oil control rings AND cracked heads are fairly well known on the 1.6 engine.

I assume you have not had the head x-rayed for cracks?

I would not waste any more time or money at this point. A leak down test should imediately determine whether its leaking from the bottom end or top end. If its the top end, and you are *certain* the bottom end is now ok, find a 2nd hand head complete. There are lots about.

OR, it may be easier to replace the engine in its entireity with a known good one from a crashed car. Insist on hearing it running before its removed if possible.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

In message , Tim.. writes

And bearing in mind that the engine has run for a certain time without oil, this might be a more prudent option than just changing the head.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Good point.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

if you look down the exhaust and inlet ports you will be able to see the valve and guide, observe them after leaving the engine overnight, you will soon see if oil is falling past the valve guide or past the stem seal.

otherwise, were the rings the right ones? correctly gapped for the bores and carefully fitted the right way up, was the bore damaged?

my money would be on the head/guide.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

It's probably a cracked head as discussed, but another cause could be the piston rings sticking due to the lands being deformed. Pistons can look perfect but still have this problem. Did you check that the rings could move in/out the groove freely?

Reply to
SteveB

Assuming it is a cracked head, would a pressure test have found this?

Tom

Reply to
Tom Burton