Help!: Gear Selection Problem on Renault Megene

Hi all, Once again I come to you seeking advice, I hope some one will be able to help me out.

I`m having some problems selecting gears on my 1996 Renault Megane Coupe 1.6e. Its only done 45k miles and here are the symptoms:

Very difficult to select 1st or 2nd while moving. Changing up from 1st to 2nd is only a slight problem. Changing down to either gear feels like there is a block and it is very difficult to select. As the speed of the car reduces it may just slip in ok if I keep pressure applied. It helps a little if I wiggle the stick (ooer)

It has been fine until about a year ago when I started to notice the problem. It seemed to get progressively worse and now seems to have reached a plateau.

On some days it drives without any problem other days it is bad enough to be a really safety problem.

I don't know what the gear box oil level is like ? would this cause these symptoms if low?

Is there some known problem or adjustment anyone can advise?

Thanks in advance! Anna

Reply to
Anna

It sounds as though the clutch is not fully disengaging, the gears go in at lower speed because the synchromesh works a little like a clutch but has difficulty working at speed.

First off are you depressing the clutch fully? Have you added any mats which might stop the pedal going down fully? Is there any excess of free play on the pedal before it starts to give any pressure?

Mechanical bits to check include clutch fluid if appropriate, engine to gearbox bolts, clutch mechanism in general and the clutch itself.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Easily checked by balancing the engine revs while in neutral - if the gear goes in easily, there's a good chance the clutch is dragging.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Unfortunately, the average driver these days finds it impossible to drive without a clutch, to mention matching revs to speed and gear is like talking Martian to most people.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

It isn't a good idea to select first when moving anyway. Most cars baulk at that because it's a big jump in rpm from second. Getting into second from 1st or 3rd should be ok though so either the clutch is faulty or dragging or the gear linkage is out of adjustment.

If you carry on driving it like that you'll bugger the synchromesh on the gears and then it's new gearbox time so I suggest you get it looked at before another year goes by. The cost of a new gearbox on one of those will put a considerable crimp in your holiday funds.

Reply to
Dave Baker

Thanks for the advice. I`ll check the clutch out.

.. Most people have never needed to drive without a clutch.... Its unfortunate that most people have not idea how to distil petrol these days :) ..

Regards, Anna

Reply to
Anna

Hi everyone! Thanks for your help.... I`ve had a chance to 'play' with this problem.

I also have a motorbike and its usual to 'blip' the throttle while changing down for a couple of reasons. Although I find it hard to 'balance' the revs as suggested I do find blipping the throttle on the Megane means the gears do select more easily. I guess this points to a clutch problem?

I have checked out the clutch adjuster and this seems OK. There is about 5-9mm of free play on the gear pedal before resistance is found, I have not installed any new mats and yes I am fully depressing the pedal.

I have tested the clutch (as other have suggested) by whacking it in to 5th while goung slowly with lots of gas and there is no noticeable slippage, so I guess its not clutch wear?

To add to the theory that there is a clutch problem, most of the time I have to really slowly select reverse or else there is a distinct crunching from the gears!

Has anybody got any ideas how I can further track down this clutch dragging problem?

Thanks again! Anna

Reply to
Anna