Help - I've done something really stupid....

Heading says it all really. Have just put some unleaded in my Citroen diesel. Only excuse is that I'd just filled our other (petrol) car and when I went back with the diesel my mind was on autopilot.

OK - so I put 22 litres of petrol in before I realised at which point I stopped and filled to the brim with diesel. It's a 66 litre tank so approx one third petrol and two thirds diesel in there. How big a problem is this? If I run for say 30 miles and top up with diesel and do this every 30 miles, thus diluting the petrol more each time, will I get away with it without causing damage.

Car is a 2006 Citroen C5

Reply to
Bald eagle

"Bald eagle" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Google for "misfuel common rail diesel".

Then ring the AA to come and drain the tank.

Reply to
Adrian

Quite possibly not, drain the tank, drain the fuel filter, flush the pipes with diesel, & fill it up again.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Having googled a bit decision has been made. RAC coming to drain and flush tank. Had hoped that dilution would have been sufficient but doesn't look like it.

Reply to
Bald eagle

Once they've done that, punt it on quickly, as it may well still have caused you some problems.

Reply to
SteveH

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (SteveH) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

And this, children, is why you don't want to buy a used common-rail diesel.

Ever.

Reply to
Adrian

Did you just call me common. Shakes tic tacs at you!

Reply to
Pete

Your likely to damage the fuel system

Reply to
steve robinson

Bit late ennit? Unless he's posting from the petrol station.

Reply to
Ian Dalziel
[...]

Twas what I was thinking...

Some common rail cars with keyless entry run the pump as the car unlocks, in order to minimise startup time. Mis-fuelling one of those is a really bad idea!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

"steve robinson" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

Is that really enough to damage a new type diesel system? Bloody Hell!

Reply to
Tunku

The jury is out on that. It would be if the tank was full of petrol, but with 2/3 diesel as the OP suggests, there should be enough lubricity to avoid damage. Of course, no-one in the trade is going to cut their own throat by telling you that less than an entire new system is necessary.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

Yes , desiel pumps rely on the lubricating qualities of the fuel , petrols a solvent .

Even just switching on the ignition without starting the engine can wreck the low pressure pump as it pumps fuel around .

Its not unkown to have to replace the low pressure pump , filters , common rail unit

Start the engine and its likely the high pressure pump , injectors and on some vehicles even the fuel tank .

Not unkown for bills running at £3000.00

Reply to
steve robinson

But not running the whole tank through's still sensible.

Reply to
Duncan Wood
[...]

Even running for a brief period can cause the case hardened rollers in the pump to lose their hardening. This won't necessarily cause instant failure, but will shorten the system's life dramatically.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan
[...]

On some keyless entry vehicles, you don't even have to do that to wreck the pump...

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Yeah but, is this * actually* true? My brother in law filled his Berlingo with petrol and drove it until it died. After a drain and refill with diesel, it ran for thousands more miles. It did need a new injection pump this year though but considering that he drove it to a grinding halt, I'm surprised it ran at all.

Tim

Reply to
Tim

Tunku gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Where "new type" is heading rapidly for a decade and a half old...

Reply to
Adrian

Even "Old" types don't like detergent oils.

Reply to
Rob

You answered your own question , the fuel pump needed replacing .

Reply to
steve robinson