help me identify what the engine code should be.....

Am buying a VW golf 5 door estate car Thursday.

On seller's V5C, its stated to be a VW golf estate 5 door 1.9 litre TDI SE

100PS 2002.

When sorting out insurnace, according to the insurance database, giving the reg no says its a golf GL TDI, no mention of a SE or 100PS or PD (pumpe dusse). Searching around on the net for Golf GL's indicate a earlier model year than 2002. so it may be the insurnace data base is wrong,

If its really a 100PS TDI PD engine, it should then make the engine code be ATD or AXR.

Question is which engine code for a golf estate SE? it has climatronic and hence air conditioning.

I can then look under the bonnet as part of my due diligence before parting with my hard earned cash.

Regards,

Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

if you look on some of the car parts sites they allow you to input the reg and you get told the engine code:

Mrcheerful

SE is just the moderate bells & whistles pack, heated door mirrors etc. IIRC the roof rails are the obvious giveaway. If it's really a golf GL then it spent an awfully long time unregistered.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Look at the data sticker under the boot carpet. It will give you the model (though it won't match the UK model names sometimes) and the engine code.

I would expect a 2002 car to have a PD100 engine: too new for a non-PD, and the 115 or 130 would have been badged GT TDI or similar, not SE.

Reply to
Chris Bartram