Help! Mondeo driveshafts.

Can anyone please help me with a problem with my Mondeo.

I am suffering a clicking noise when turning right coming from the left hand front side. I suspect this is the outer CV joint. Is this a common occurence with a 94 mondeo which has covered 120,000. Or could it be the inner CV joint. If it is the outer joint what do I replace? The tripod assembly or the whole shaft.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have already replaced everything bar the driveshaft which is why I suspect it is this which is the problem.

Thanks all

John

Reply to
John Woodhall

Sounds like a CV joint maybe.

When you say "replaced everything", does this include the CV joint?

FWIW, when my driveshaft went, it started off by clicking only when changing direction. Half the splines had sheared off, so when I changed directions, the shaft had to turn half a revolution before it managed to gain any grip, so made a nasty smacking noise!

As to a common occurrence : I'd have thought it's as common or not on any front wheel drive car as any other. The joints are put through a lot in their lives, and all it needs is the grease to escape through a worn gaiter, and it's toast.

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

Thanks Pete, but no the CV joint is the only thing that I haven`t replaced. Someone did mention a bearing but there is no play or grinding when I checked it and it sounds normal when I spin the wheel.

Reply to
John Woodhall

It'll be a CV, more than likely the outer as they are subjected to much more movemant than the inners. You can get a joint for around 40quid and if you have a pair of circlip pliers and don't mind getting somewhat covered in grease its an easy job. Failing that a re-con shaft (new inner and outer) should be around £120quid.

Tip Of The Day. If your only doing an outer carefully split the inner CV (if possible) and leave the tripod cup in the gearbox to avoid loosing the gearbox oil.

Cheers Matt

Reply to
**-**

it'll be the outer CV while you are at it, get new gaiters for the inner one as well as some extra grease this way you can junk the old outer and at the same time grease and put a new gaiter on the inner one, thus saving you more hassle sometime in the future :)

Reply to
dojj

Thanks all for your help folks It was the outer joint. Now no noise, me very happy. :-)

Reply to
John Woodhall