Help, nearly had a accident on motorway due to work done by Nationwide Autocentre

Hi,

2 months ago I had a new drive shaft and wheel bearing fitted to the front passenger side of my Renault Clio (1.4 1999 model) by Nationwide Autocentre (Huddersfield).

Whilst driving for the first time on the motorway after having a new drive shaft and wheel bearing fitted, I found that I started to lose control of the vehicle at high speed. The vehicle started to knock and shake that made me lose control. After making a stop I decided to take the car to a local (Morley) Motosave garage.

They found that certain parts were not fitted property by Nationwide Autocentre. The front wheel had a lot of play and was loose and was easily moved. Basically the main Nut/Bolt was not tightened. The mechanic told me that I was extremely lucky that I did not have a major accident which may have resulted in major injury to me and my family. They made report for me to take to Nationwide.

Whilst driving I found the car made a squeaking noise which was constant and crunching noise everytime I used the breaks coming from the front passenger side wheel.

So I went to nationwide,they apologised and fitted a new Wheel Bearing and made sure that all parts were fitted properly. As soon as I took the car out for a test run I found that the car started to make a crunching noise in the same area. I took the car back and they replaced the brakes and charged me for it. Again the noise had not gone. Again I had to make another trip to Nationwide. They checked the disk which were in good condition. Today they have told me that they think that I need a new FLANGE??

Could some kind individual tell me what a Flange is and weather damage to it could have been caused because the main nut/bolt was not tightened properly or play in the wheel. I dont want to pay for a new flange if the problem was caused by work that was not done properly by Nationwide Autocentre when they fitted the drive shaft & wheel bearing.

Every occasion I went to Nationwide, the mechacics team up in 3-4's and downtalk to be and try to make me feel stupid so that I dont come back.

Any help is much appreciated..

Reply to
Mali

On the other hand - is there any central body to report dangerous workmanship like this to? HSE?

Reply to
Ian Stirling

trading standards.

Reply to
reg

< SNIP>

Write to the branch, telling them unless they fix it for no charge within 14 days you will go to the Small Claims Court ( The people are generally helpful ) and also claims costs. Make it clear you have sent a copy to the CEO, get his name from Head Office.

0121 707 5811

NATIONWIDE AUTOCENTRES LTD

7/9 Richmond Road Olton Wharf Olton, Solihull, West Midlands B92 7RN

If you get no joy there, they claim to be members of the Retail Motor Industry Federation

They request you read the document ' How NCS Helps ' before writing to the National Conciliation Service (NCS) at:

The National Conciliation Service

9 North Street Rugby CV21 2AB

HTH Andy

Reply to
Andy Cap

Perhaps they're suggesting your other half is a munter?

Reply to
SteveH

made your first mistake going to Nationwide Autocentre for repairs! Just get them to check if you need anything doing then take elsewhere. Most problems they point out will be voided by any real mechanic.

Reply to
Joe

pmsl ;o)

Reply to
reg

That is a long time in wheel bearing terms

I had a new drive shaft and wheel bearing fitted to the front

Why did you not use them in the first place?

We all blame the other garage.

. The front wheel had a lot of play and was loose and was easily

If he was refering to the drive shaft nut then that was unlikely to be the reason

If you could post that report it would help?

That points to a wheel bearning fault.

If they apologised then that is an admission that they got it wrong.

and fitted a new Wheel Bearing and

As they should have done the first time.

As soon as I took the car out

You have them on that one!, if they have fitted a wheel bearing and have not done the job properly resulting in damage to your brakes ( if your pads or discs were near the end of there life when the initial repair was done they should have told you) there is no charge.

Again the noise had not gone. Again I had to make another trip to

They got it wrong, there problem not your's.

You have them by the balls, be polite and tell them to fix it as you asked 2 months ago.

The problem was not caused by Nationwide, but they have failed to spot it when they charged you for the initial job.

The customer is always right, tell the boss if you think you have been treated badly. It's not unusual for several mechanics to look at the same job and ask questions of each other.

I own a company and employ 6 staff, If what you say is true then do what I suggest.

Reply to
Fred

If the problem cannot be resolved quickly, or if you don't feel like pursuing the matter further in this manner, you tackle it legally.

Equip yourself with the necessary legal issues of the problem

Car Repair on the Rt. Take special note of the various implicationsof taking your car to other garage for repair and seek conpensation fromthis Nationwide Autocentre thenafter. Recruit friends and relatives to witness the comings and goings. Take photos (the silver halide ones, not digital; especially the 'before' and 'after' photos are particularly valuable, if you have the 'before' ones), and tape all conversations covertly (get a cassette dictation recorder such as the ~£30 one from Argos). Jot down and chronicle all. You will need these in court.

Get in touch with a lawyer. Or, if you don't want to spend money on this, get advice from the Consumers Association (the "Which" magazine), Legal Advisory. You need to be a member for this. Annual fee of £30+. The library may have books on the subject; ask the librarian for assistance.

Post the same query to the legal newsgroups, for example: uk.legal uk.legal.moderated

Good luck.

Reply to
Lin Chung

I should have made clear that no lawyer should be employed; you should by all means do it yourself if at all possible, through the Small Claim Court, for example. All lawyer are legalized to take money from you, whether you want it or agree with the fee or not. "The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers". (HenryVI, Part II)

Reply to
Lin Chung

Most house insurance policies now offer a free legal advice line too.

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Really? Two in my car are 20 years old.

Reply to