Help needed on an M reg Rover Metro, 1.1 Rio, 3 Door manual.

Right, it is my mothers car, great little runner with good bodywork, BUT...

It has developed a fault with the engine. On tickover it will rev up and down between 400 to about 1300 rpm. It initially developed this problem at the beginning of the year and has had most things changed, the ECU has been replaced as has the carbon pot thing, however the problem is still there. the problem with this was the guy in the garage didn't really know what he was doing and was simply replacing bits with new bits to see if it was the problem then charging us regardless of it fixing the car.

I have taken the air filter off myself and there appears to be what I am told is a stepper motor with a little pin that advances the throttle. It is this that is causing the car to rev, I disconnect the wires that lead to it and the car runs fine.

This leads me to think it is this attachment on the inlet that is causing the problem but I would appreciate some second opinions before I go and replace it. Can this stepper motor fail?

Anyone heard of a similar problem with a Metro before?

Reply to
Aha!!!

On the end of the stepper motor pin you will see the idle switch. This is what has failed.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..