Help please: MK3 Fiesta - "over-rich" fuel mixture?

Check the air filter's not bunged up and get the co checked, for starters.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "one shed" Toadfoot

Hi all. I started to notice recently that my car "smells" very bad, as in sat at traffic lights with the window down and I get this really strong smell of petrol from the exhaust. That never used to happen.

A quick read around suggested looking at the spark plugs, so I did and they are very "sooty" black soot on them. Now a member of my family said that this means the cars fuel mixture is over-rich and they suggested I try checking my choke (it is a manual one) I did so, and it is fine under the bonnet as it is inside the car, I also do not overuse it. I only use the choke when I really have to.

Now I am stuck, what else can be causing my "over-rich" fuel mixture?

Does anyone know how I can correct this?

Thanks Allot

Chris A Hi all. I started to notice recently that my car "smells" very bad, as in sat at traffic lights with the window down and I get this really strong smell of petrol from the exhaust. That never used to happen.

A quick read around suggested looking at the spark plugs, so I did and they are very "sooty" black soot on them. Now a member of my family said that this means the cars fuel mixture is over-rich and they suggested I try checking my choke (it is a manual one) I did so, and it is fine under the bonnet as it is inside the car, I also do not overuse it. I only use the choke when I really have to.

Now I am stuck, what else can be causing my "over-rich" fuel mixture?

Does anyone know how I can correct this?

Thanks Allot

Chris A

Reply to
Chris

Ignore the doubble post within one post, no idea what happened there.

Reply to
Chris

When you say "checked under the bonnet", do you mean you've taken the top off the carb and _visually_ checked the choke flap?

My mum had a Mk3 which the choke kept getting stuck (even though the lever was all the way in).

I've just had a funny thought - I can't believe how primitive (to me) the concept of a "choke lever" is. Having to pull a little thing to make sure your car will start from cold.

My 1st car had a manual choke. My 2nd an auto, and my last 2 cars have had EFI, so you put the key in, turn it, and it goes.

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

mmmh. Its not really any more primitive than the throttle cable when you think about it. You're right though it does seem primitive once you've become accustomed to a modern car. I've had an old Spitfire for a year and it took ages to get back into the habit of using the Choke properly....

Reply to
Doug

Reply to
Daniel Jones

yes, i taken the top off the carb and "_visually_" checked the choke flap.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Reply to