HELP! STRANGE STARTING PROBLEM WITH 'H' REG ROVER 214i

I posted this problem a few days ago and acted on the responses I received but to no avail. The fault has a quite definite pattern which is: The car starts straight away from cold. It will continue to run perfectly normally and can be restarted several times thereafter. However, after approx. 10 minutes - with the engine just slightly warm

- it will suddenly refuse to start. It will only restart again after being left for an hour or so to go completely cold again - and so on. Whatever prevents it from starting seems to be some kind of low temperature thermally induced fault. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing it? Thanks for any responses.

Reply to
Sunday Driver

I would try pulling the fuse for the injection pump and giving it a spin, if it fires momentarily, put the fuse back in and see if it will start, if it will then possibly the coolant temperature sensor is giving a false reading leading to overfuelling. If it won't fire at all then check it has a spark at the lead from the coil, if it hasn't then possibly TDC sensor is duff.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Had the same problem with a K-reg 216. It'd drive fine. Stop at a petrol station and it wouldn't restart sometimes for up to 10 mins. Much worse on a hot day. One one summers day a couple of years ago, it wouldn't even start from cold as it had sat in the sun all day. Started fine once the sun went down. Something was obviously getting to hot. What it was I have no idea, I just lived with it . Sorry to be of no use :-(

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

Possibly a vapour lock in the fuel line? - fuel in pipe gets too hot, evaporates, no fuel gets through.

had any work done recently - has the fuel line been moved to somewhere where it might get warm?

Reply to
R. Murphy

Faulty coolant temperature sensor would be my first guess.

-- Dave Baker

Reply to
Dave Baker

If this is the single point Rover/Motorola injection system there is an electrical heater plate in the manifold directly under the injector which is used to aid vapourisation of the fuel. This switches off when the coolant sensor says that the coolant is up to about 50 C.

If it goes suddenly flat then like mine you almost certainly have a blocked coolant feed round the inlet manifold meaning that the manifold is not getting sufficiently warm. Check that this is not sludged up - if it is YOU MUST also clean the entire coolant system out as you are getting closed to a sludged head gallery and you don;t want to overheat and warp the head on a K series as they only have about 4 litres of coolant, and overheating them can be distressingly easy to do.

Reply to
Chris Street

I had a K reg 214 that used to do this - almost exactly at the same place on the road on my journey to work on cold days. I eventually decided that it was a fault with the immobiliser. I had the immobiliser disconnected and never had the problem again. I'm not sure, however, that it wasn't an aftermarket immobiliser.

andy

Reply to
Andy McKenzie

In article , Mike P station and it wouldn't restart sometimes for up to 10 mins. Much worse

Sounds like fuel evaporation.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)