High Idling after engine clean - Renault Laguna

Car: 1999 (V) Renault Laguna, 16V, 1.8i RXE Hatchback, 130K miles, manual

Hi,

After a engine clean with gunk spray and a good hose down the engine is idling at around 4000 RPM at all times. I let the bonnet open under the sun for 3/4 hours in a hope that once thoroughly dry the problem will go away. Waiting game has made no difference and panic is setting in now as it will be long bus ride to work on monday. Can someone please give me a few pointers as to what is likely to be the problem area before I take it to a mechanic?

Thanks

J Mann

Reply to
jagemail

CHeck the connections to the idle valve, & all the vacuum hoses.

Reply to
Duncanwood

Pull all the electrical connections you can see out, blow into them, and plug them back in. If you have a can of compressed air use that.

Reply to
Stuart Gray

or even WD40 to displace any moisture?

Reply to
R. Murphy

No as it tends to attract excessive crud due to the oily film left behind.

Reply to
Chris Street

No, WD40 is conductive and could therefore short connections. I have had this happen to me. It also dsiplaces crud causing bad connections. Switch cleaner is the way to go.

Reply to
gazzafield

It might not be as pretty but it'll still get the water out the connecter.

Reply to
Duncanwood

It's not

Switch cleaner is better, Contact cleaner & lubricants a good solution for wet connecters

Reply to
Duncanwood

Good advice.

Reply to
Johannes

It is for HT leads after it's attracted all the crud that sticks to the grease....

Reply to
Chris Street

That's al the other shit that's conductive though, not the WD40 :-) (WD40's specced as good for 12KV/0.1")

Reply to
Duncanwood