High torque starter motor.

The starter on the old SD1 is on the way out. It sometimes doesn't engage

- pre engage type - and it's not turning the engine as fast as usual. The battery is fine and I've done a volt drop check on both live and ground, which are OK. My DC clamp meter (not the most accurate of devices) says it's taking over 500 amps on a freezing morning.

I can get a high torque type for about twice the cost of a standard one. These are permanent magnet types with reduction gearing which take approx

1/3rd of the current. They are much lighter too.

Any cons - apart from the cost?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Your battery lasts far longer. That's not really a con though.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

"Dave Plowman (News)" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

BTW, Dave...

Your SD1. C-reg VdP, heading down Bermondsey St and parking in the car park opposite the arches heading towards London Bridge, yesterday morning, by any chance?

Reply to
Adrian

Nope. Mine's a black VDP EFI C reg. Easily recognisable by different headlights.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

why not just get your one rebuilt, it has after all been ok till now.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Sort of - it's failed before and is a Lucas exchange unit. It's just that a neighbour's Range Rover with the same engine but a lot newer whizzes round on a cold start.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)