Honda Accord 02 Shimmy/wobble under acceleration

Hi,

I am new to newsgroups so please point me in the right direction if this is not appropriate for this group;

I have a 52 plate Honda Accord (manual) with 105k on the clock.

When you accelerate from rest upto 20/25mph the car feels fine and cruising at any speed is also fine, even upto 70/80. Breaking and steering are both solid.

When I accelerate at 30plus to 40/50 etc there is a shimmy or wobble from the accelerator which is more noticably the harder you gas it. If you back off the gas the shimmy reduces.

I am not sure what the problem is, but, google search suggests it could be CV joints or engine/gearbox mounts. The clutch feels worn with the biting point high up

TIA

Reply to
usergroup.paul

Is there any noise? Have you had the wheels balanced? & does swapping the wheels from the back to the front solve it?

Reply to
Duncan Wood

I did wonder about wheel balance or tracking, but, I thought as the car is rock solid cruising along at any speed it probably wouldn't be that type of problem. Do you think it is worth getting balance/ tracking checked?

How will swapping F/R wheels help?

Reply to
usergroup.paul

If it's out of balance you'll be putting the unbalanced wheels on the back and hopefully the balanced ones on the front. If it changes the behaviour then you know you've got a tyre problem & it's cheaper than any other check :-)

Reply to
Duncan Wood

I like the idea of starting with the cheapest option!

Thanks for your help...

Reply to
usergroup.paul

Cheapest is checking the tyre inflation. It could be anumber of things ranging from the trivial to the catastrophic.

Reply to
adder1969

Tyre inflation and balance checked and ok.

ATS put the car on the high lift, started the engine, engaged first and pressed the accelerator. You can clearly see the drive shaft is out of alignnment - he suggested either CV joint damage or the drive shaft is warped.

Reply to
usergroup.paul

Change the whole shaft then, the labour costs the same as doing one end & then finding out the hard way. If it's the shaft check nothing else in the vicinity is bent, they don't normally or even abnormally warp for the hell of it.

Reply to
Duncan Wood