Honda Accord Gearbox

Hello all,

I have a honda accord 2.0i V reg that I love dearly (except for the fact it's so bloody long - saloon) but there's this funny thing with the gearbox. If I try to put it into first when going slowly it resists as I am actually moving but my revs are way too low for second. I either shunt it into first and let it know who's boss (rarely) or put it into second and rev harder so it doesn't struggle.

Is that normal? Or perhaps sign of a gearbox on it's way out or something? It's just pants that it's forcing me to put it into second and then I have to rev to try to avoid it shuddering or lurching.

Any reassurance would be great!

Cheers, ~S

Reply to
sethjohnson777

your problem is that either the clutch is not fully disengaging (unlikely as you don't report problems getting gears stationary) or the first gear synchromesh is worn.

you need to learn how to double declutch, it is an easily aquired skill that is best demonstrated to you. basically: if you want to go to first gear: clutch down, take it from second to neutral and let the clutch up, rev the enfine a little (experience will show how much and it will vary depending on your road speed) press the clutch down again and put it into first. with practise this will only take a moment.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
Mrcheerful

snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com brought next idea :

Sounds like a worn 2nd to 1st synchromesh. The synchro is intended to gently match the speeds of the gears so they can engage smoothly. In the dark days they didn't have synchros to help with the change from

1st down to 2nd - your choice was to come to a stop to make the change, or learn to double declutch to match the gear speeds.
Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Has anyone done a transmission oil change? Syncro performance can be greatly affected by the choice of oil, and I've cured several cars of hard, crunchy shifting in certain gears by refilling with a different brand and/or type of oil (while paying careful attention to specs). Some of these problems started only some time after I'd changed the oil in the first place.

Different cars can require different oil specs, and I'm not familiar with your Honda. I've generally found Redline oils to have very good syncro performance, and Castrol the opposite.

John

Reply to
John Henderson

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I don't think I've had the transmission oil changed unless it was done as part of my last major service - I'd have to check the book and my mechanic. To be honest the last few times I've been out I haven't noticed my gearbox problem at all so the occasions it does happen seem fine to live with and the 'double clutch' thing sounds like a good workaround.

I thought this was unrelated so didn't mention but there is a leak in my clutch. It's happened about twice in the last three months - I just set off and if the pedal is spongy, pop it open and pour in some more fluid. Even full of just air the clutch has seemed to just about work which I found surprising, no grinding of gears, just not a steady transfer of power.

It's hard to see where it might be leaking from but just some random thoughts:

  1. How much should I generally look at to replace a clutch?
  2. Worst case scenario, how much to replace the honda gearbox as well? I'd expect that to be a lot and that would hurt since I only bought the car for about =A33.5k.

And here's another one...

  1. Should I consider selling it? Since the car is for all intents and purposes running fine right now, there is just potential for gearbox and clutch problems would be a good idea to get shot of it while it's looking quite healthy?

That's kind of the whole principle of 'bangernomics' - sell it before it costs you loads in repairs. Seems quite unfair though. I'd be miffed myself if three months after buying a car the gearbox packed in but hey ho.

Thoughts, opinions, advice?

Thanks, ~S

Reply to
sethjohnson777

The fluid is almost certainly leaking from the slave cylinder, this is very common on that car. the repair will cost about 100 pounds. it will also contribute to your gear selection problem

Reply to
Mrcheerful