Honda Accord Sat Nav Problems

Hi there,

I have a 99 Accord with Sat Nav built in. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes the on wheel volume controls for my radio turn the volume up when I press down, sometimes the cruise works.

Has anyone had similar problems? I cant see the sat nav listed in the fuse list so I have no idea where it connects to. Can any one point me in any direction. I know as soon as I take it into Honda in Cambridge they will chare a fortune.

Many thanks

Paul

Reply to
Paul A Brown

These problems must be one of two basic flavours:

- Wiring / connector issues,

- Switch module issues.

Either problem can be troubleshot by you with a multimeter, and once you know what's faulty you can fix / replace it yourself. Paying a main dealer to fix intermittent electrical problems is a bit like employing a cat to guard your flock of rare, valuable and bite-sized pet birds.

Reply to
Questions

Ahhh if only I was clever enough ;-)

It would help if anyone knows where the fuse area is for the sat nav. it must be something common to that and the radio and the cruise.

I did fail to mention that I found a bit of water in the boot but I couldn't trace where it had come from.

I will try with a meter if I can pin point where the fuse is :-(

Cheers

Paul

Reply to
Paul A Brown

Dunno but AutoElectrical & HiFi in Aylestone road, 01223358096 are normally cluefull.

Reply to
DuncanWood

Turn on the sat nav and have an assistant remove and replace likely fuses until the sat nav goes dead. Whatever fuse they pulled, is the one that powers the sat nav.

If the problem is intermittent, it's almost certainly not the fuse anyway.

Water can mess electrics up badly, and can certainly create intermittent faults. Check your fusebox can't get wet and possibly make sure it is dry using a hairdryer. They're fiendishly complicated on new cars and there's a raft of copper conductors underneath that can be damp, can go weird, etc.

A wiring diagram is a really good idea, if the wheel switches are not switching when you check the loom from wheel to under dash, it's potentially a replacement wheel and they're bound to be horribly expensive as they have buttons, airbags and stuff like that in. So you might want to live with that fault if it is the switches.

Cruise control ditto, but you could put switches somewhere more accessible, e.g. centre console or dash (I take it you can control the radio volume on the dash instead).

If the switches are fine but there's a duff connector on the back of the radio, mass of rust in the fusebox or something, that's a bit more straightforward to fix.

You could talk to an auto electrician, they're far cheaper than a main dealer and have a lot more idea about what goes where than most people.

Reply to
Questions