Honda Civic brakes clunking

After changing the front pads in my daughter's 2001 Civic I get a "clunk" when I apply the brakes the first time in a given direction.

I drive forward, brake, "clunk". Further driving forward followed by braking, no clunk.

I reverse, brake, "clunk". Further driving in reverse followed by braking, no clunk.

Brakes seem to work fine.

Only seems to be on one wheel (checked by jacking up and spinning the wheel). Everything seems tight etc. New pads are, as far as I can see, identical in size to the old ones and fit snuggly.

Can anyone help, I am at my wit's end!

Fred

Reply to
Lurker

Swap the pads from side to side & see if the noise follows the pads.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Maybe not the brakes - perhaps a suspension ball joint - or the calliper.......

Reply to
John

sounds like either the anti rattle shims haven't been replaced with the brake pads .

Reply to
reg

How pronounced is the noise?

Many cars just do this anyway; there has to be clearance around the pad to allow it to move. This creates the noise. I can certainly detect exactly what you are describing with my present car, and have noticed it on others I've driven.

Reasons for it happening after a pad change include the possibility that the new pads are slightly smaller, although still within specification. It is also more likely to happen now everything is clean and maybe lubricated. Perhaps it has always done it, but you are listening for it now having worked on the brakes.

If the noise is not too loud, and you are sure everything is back as it should be, I would just live with it.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan