Honda Civic not starting properly when cold

It's a 1.6 N reg Civic that has always started first time. I now need to floor the accelerator to get it started in the morning. Without the throttle the engine turns but does not fire.

Once it has started it runs fine and will restart without a problem until it has been stood for 12 hours.

Any ideas as to what is wrong?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Most-probably-incorrect guess:

Leaky injector(s) flood the cylinders overnight so it won't start until you clear it.

Reply to
David Taylor

I have a car that does that, because I could not be bothered to find which injector and replace it, I rigged a hidden switch in the fuel pump feed, when I park up I turn off the switch and let it idle to a stop. Starts fine when next needed (as long as I remember to turn it on :) Also a useful anti-theft device.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Call me wanker.

It might have run out of/low on fuel. The gauge says 1/4 full and it still says 1/4 full after putting £40 of petrol in the tank.

It now starts OK. It was parked facing downhill on a steep street when it refused to start properly but I am blaming the girlfriend.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Owwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. No.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

I had that happen on an injected granada, the owner parked it outside my house and left it for repairs, on the kerb and facing downhill, when I went to get it it wouldn't go, I had to add two gallons to get it moving, oh how I laughed.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

On Oct 10, 4:26=A0pm, "Mrcheerful" wrote: I rigged a hidden switch in the fuel pump feed,

old old old GOOD trick!!! reminds me old old old times.

Reply to
K.