Honda Manual Transmission Fluid - where from?

I called in to my local Honda dealer today to try and buy some Honda Manual Transmission Fluid (MTF) for my Civic. The young lad from parts informed me that they only sold Automatic Transmission Fluid and that for manual transmission I could use anything and buy it from a "Hardware Store"!

I queried this and said I though Honda only specified the use MTF in their cars. Although he tried to assure me this was untrue the conversation was overheard by another employee. He agreed I should use only genuine Honda MTF (MTF-2 apparently) but explained that it was only available in bulk and so he could not sell any to me. I was told that I could, of course, book my car in and they would be quite happy to change it for a fee.

So, where do you obtain MTF from and, if you can't, what do you use instead? A google on the subject seems seems to suggest using normal

10W40 semi-synth oil in some discussions and dire warnings of what might happen if you do this in other discussion groups.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

both the manual Hondas I have had ( Preludes ) used 10/40 engine oil. I changed it once but it did not make a lot of difference for the money. Just check the level, since it does not get dirty like engine oil.

Simon

Reply to
mr p

Yes it does.

The oil dropped out of my 75's transaxle was really nasty looking stuff.

Reply to
SteveH

It does, just not *like* engine oil does.

On many transmissions you can pretty much use whatever you like - MTF, ATF, engine oil etc so long as it doesn't corrode anything. Look up recommended oils from GM or Redline etc and use those if you want. Some people switch oil types to try to alleviate some shifting problems.

Reply to
adder1969