Honourable main dealer. I feel faint....

Bought a 2010 reg Jag XF about a month ago. Car pick-up was delayed as dealer was fitting four new tyres (at their expense). Thought that was the last freebie I'd ever see out of them.

Brake-pad warning light came on the other day and I braced myself for paying for new pads as these aren't covered by any new or used car warranty that I've come across. My heart sank a bit when I heard that they'd replace front AND rear pads and the front disks. Also replaced fuel filter to fix hot idle problem.

Went to collect it this afternoon, credit card clutched in shaking hands. "Oh, no charge sir seeing as you bought the car from us recently".

Thank you Parks of Ayr Jaguar!

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Given (I'll bet) they claim to to a full check etc on a used car before selling it, I'd hope they'd pay for new pads etc after such a short time. Most dealers will warn you at service time if the pads will need replacing before the next service.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In an ideal world, yes that's what you would hope for every time. In practice, I bet a lot of dealers would have weaselled out of it.

Well, it's got pad wear warning indicators and my previous experience with Citroen is that in a car fitted with these, pads aren't inspected at service.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Have you looked at the service instructions? They usually include cleaning the dust etc from calipers. But I'll bet it's never done. Same as most of the other things like that.

But checking pads, yes. Anything they can jack up the price with.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The newish cars I've bought over the past 10 years, and had serviced at manufacturer dealers, had service books with quite lengthy 'to do' lists in the service books. None of them ever ticked the boxes - SEAT, Honda, BMW. And I had grave doubts that even the most basic of tasks was done - properly, or at all.

Well, exceptions (that the OP cites) don't disprove the rule (don't trust a dealer).

Reply to
RJH

Even if they had, are you really picturing the mechanic with the service book open on the side, ticking everything off as he did it?

Reply to
Adrian

Good point :-)

Although in a sense, yes, I do, or at the very least an itemised invoice.

Reply to
RJH

They would have lots of complaints from people about mechanics paw prints all over their precious service books.

Reply to
Peter Hill

Riiight. The mechanic won't even SEE any paper, other than a job sheet. The service book (if there even is one, rather than just a computerised record these days) will get stamped by the service reception.

The itemised invoice will list the item that you're being invoiced for. An "A"-service, or whatever.

Reply to
Adrian

However, you do get a dust of "new car" spray inside the car, and they don't even charge for that :)

Reply to
johannes

No reason why he shouldn't tap a key or whatever on a computer as each part of the job is done, though.

Oh, it can itemise anything. Doesn't mean it has actually been done, though.

One story was the poor handbrake on my E39. It is meant to be checked/adjusted at each service, and at each one I asked for it to be checked. But not a major problem as it's an auto.

The first MOT was carried out by the dealer, and they passed it. The second one, done at another garage, after I'd fallen out with the dealer - failed on the handbrake. So I decided to take a look. The adjuster inside the drum was stuck solid on minimum. Had to remove it to free it - it wasn't rusty or seized, just tightened so hard against the stop it wouldn't move. Once I'd freed it in the vice, it turned normally.

The cable on that side had been wound up tight in an attempt to make it work.

Adjusting everything by the book resulted in a handbrake which now passed the MOT.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

He's very unlikely to access to a computer in the workshop, apart from the diagnostic kit.

Reply to
Adrian

Given the price of these things, could be integrated? Car makers have their own software. Hardly cutting edge to have some form of check.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)