How do you remove anti-theft wheel nuts?

Without the key obviously :)

I think they are factory fitted on my Toyota Corolla and look like perfect cylinders with 3 holes bored into the top. I've lost the key and need to replace a tyre for the car's MOT. The local Toyota dealer have already told me they can't sell a replacement key without the code slip that came with the anti-theft nuts.

Thanks in advance for any help

Reply to
Carlos

I managed to make a key for these, but it involved welding equipment so may not suit you.

My recommendation is to try round a few car shops or get the rac/aa to get it off.

to make a key, I got three short pieces of rod that were a tight fit in the holes , knock these into the holes and weld them to each other but not the nut, remove the three welded together pins and then weld them into an old socket, the tube around the outside is not essential, but could easily be added.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

The message from "Carlos" contains these words:

Hammer a slightly-too-small socket over the top and undo it that way.

If that doesn't work, weld a proper nut to the top.

Reply to
Guy King

Hammer and cold chisel?

-- Malc

Reply to
Malc

Go to another Toyota dealership, the one you went to are obviously cr@p.

The locking wheelnut key for my wifes Mazda split. Took it to the dealership (JCT600) and they were very helpful and matched a new key, cost around £10-£15. Granted we still had the old key, but we didn't have the code.

Somewhere like Kwik-Fit should be able to remove them for a small fee. But then you'll be looking at getting a replacement set for around £30.

Reply here if you haven't got it sorted and I'll take a pic of my wheelnuts (sound identical to yours) of my Toyota MR2 and will let you know the code for this key.

Reply to
Johnny

Try a more helpfull dealer or try any of your local tyre dealers, they all own sockets that will remove locking nuts destructively.

Reply to
DuncanWood

hello,

Take it to one of the well known high street garages and ask for a couple of new tyres. They will soon remove the offending items.

I had so-called high security wheel nuts fitted and wasn't given the key by the main dealer. The garage removed them in a matter of seconds as most are not worth having. I've seen them removed with a normal socket and others with a hammer and long nosed pliers.

Reply to
jqo