How do you tell if a turbo works?

So, because my mundano needed a little attension for the MOT [1], I bought a new car, a Saab 9000, with a 1985 cc turbo engine. It does not seem as fast as I had expected, though it was a fairly late drive back from the auction and I have no experience of large turbo cars so no real reference point. I am wondering if the turbo may have blown. Is there an easy way to tell?

If the turbo has blown, and I just want to drive it as it is, is there any real ploblem?

It is a '93 K reg, 155,000 miles, 10 months MOT, 75 quid. Someone would have asked.

[1] see thread "How easy is this stuff to fix?"
Reply to
David Jones

just drive it till it breaks and throw it away/run into a scrappy/break it on ebay

Reply to
mrcheerful

Yeah, I was going to do that.

Reply to
David Jones

Does it have a boost gauge on the dashboard? It is a gauge with APC written on it, and should be above the fuel/temp gauges. If it is not there, then you have the low pressure turbo version, so don't expect any real performance out of it.

If the gauge is there, how far across is it going? it should go pretty much right through the yellow, and just clip the bottom of the red section. If it only goes about 1/8" from the base position (the position it sits in with engine off) then the APC isn't working.

If the turbo is blown you will know about it, by the bloody big clouds of blue smoke behind you! When turbos fail, they usually give up on the bearings first, and allow oil into the inlet/exhaust. If the turbo has really stopped producing pressure, then it must mean that either the exhaust turbine has burns away, so the exhaust passes straight through, (very rare) or the wastegate is stuck open (unlikely, but not impossible)

Reply to
SimonJ

I am fairly sure there is no guage. Oh well, cann't complain. I shall tell you for sure tommorrow.

So the details at

[1] (Max. output 187.6 PS (185.0 bhp) (138 kW)@5400 rpm, 127.59 bhp/ton) are for the high preasure one. I shall have to read the manual.

[1]
David Jones

Dunno, but I wondered the same thing about our Passat TD until the accelerator cable snapped. Once I'd fitted and adjusted a new cable, it went a hell of a lot quicker. Sometimes, it's better to look for simple solutions first.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

For Saabs, you'll find lots of help and knowledgable people at

Chris Bolus

Hmmm. I have a 9000 LPT (light pressure turbo). The official performance figures are 150bhp 0-60 9.5 sec 131 mph. Perhaps similar to many more modern 2.0 ltr cars, but the car should pull strongly from low revs; a particular advantage of the LPT, together with good economy for size of car. Mine certainly gives a turbo shove from low revs. The car's ECU is set up for the turbo function, so if the turbo isn't working, there should be a lot of other poor running symptoms. It's quite a complex car to fix, this is possible the reason for the low price. But once fixed, it's one of the nicest cars that you can have (space, performance, economy, comfort). Naturally, the turbo channel should be air tight, or the boost will escape. Listen for strange noises.

Reply to
Johannes

I can confirm there is no guage. Oh well, nice enough car anyway.

Reply to
David Jones

I will give you =A3100. Seriously though, if it goes totally flat above 2-3k revs it might be=20 something wrong but simple.

Or it might be working perfectly. Lets see if it works perfectly first.

Does it have a boost gauge in dash? On the back does it say 2.0T or 2.ot (they are different). Is there an intercooler infront of the radiator?

If most or all those things are missing, it might be an LPT or=20 "Ecopower" car. Ecopowers are basically there to make a big car feel=20 like it has a bigger engine, rather than have loads of performance.

But even they are adequate to have fun in.

--=20 Carl Robson Car PC Build starts again.

Homepage:

NeedforSwede2

My pal has a 1984 auto version with alleged turbo. He thought it was real fast when he put his foot down but all I sensed was a lot more noise. DaveK.

Reply to
davek

auto's were dogs (I guess 900 no 9000 in '84....) problem with some of the newer turbo's is they're too refined - still fast but you don't get that kick.

The old 99 turbo had only 145bhp (but loads of torque) but when the turbo came on - major whiplash time!

Reply to
john

I guess if it is the same weight as the one on carfolio, then 150 bhp would only be about 103 bhp per ton, about the same as my mundano. So I guess there is no mechanical problem.

Thanks for all the pointers.

Reply to
David Jones

In message , john writes

I test-drove an auto 9000 turbo once. It kept wanting to change up just as things started to get interesting. Not much fun.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Well eh, yes I suppose so. But the moundano would require more revs to achieve the performance.

Reply to
Johannes

I had a 9000S (2.3, non-turbo) auto and that was really quick. I have heard that the auto boxes can be problematic but mine was spot-on and it was a great car.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

My first car was a Mk3 1.1 litre Escort Estate. Next car was a 1.1 Mk3 Escort hatchback. Then another 1.1 Mk3 Escort hatchback, then the clutch went on that and I found a 1.3 with a brand new clutch fitted and a good few weeks tax and MOT left to run - got it for 35 quid. I thought that was fast. Fastest I'd ever owned. No-one else seemed to.

-- Tell me your birthday!

Called Pete? Join The Pete Collective NOW at

AstraVanMan

Heh, reminds me of the time my brother was talking about how his brakes had been a bit "fierce" for the last week. He accidentally fixed it by adjusting his seat further back :)

Reply to
Tony Bond (UncleFista)