How does alternator drive belt numbering system work?

My power steering pump has failed on a nissan bluebird. The belt also drives the waterpump.

Am trying to bypass the powersteering pump by using the set up that the non PAS bluebird uses which only has one belt driving the atternator and water pump. The PAS bluebirds have two belts, one to the alternator and one to the water pump and PAS pump.

Halfords catalgue said to use HB963e. I have tried this belt but it seems a tiny bit short in length. Another half inch or so would be fine. Would a 965 belt be slightly larger? Somebody suggested the belt needed is PK 965. I presume the end nmbers will match the halfords ones?

Are there any online drivebelt catalogues online?

Reply to
Alan

the belt will be (something)PK and then the length in MM. for example 5PK means 5 ribs. think of PK meaning peaks.

has pdf catalogues. also google contitech and dayco

Reply to
starbux

You'll probably be bitterly disappointed when you realise that the PAS and non-PAS variants use different belt tensioning systems, and the way the belt runs means it's either going to be too slack, doesn't make sufficient contact with the appropriate pulleys, or the face of the belt (the ribs) run across a tensioned surface. All of which will cause premature failure of the belt, and/or insufficient drive to the ancillaries.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

In my experience the path that the belt takes with different ancilliary options will be significantly different in order to wrap around the pulleys sufficiently. In my opinion you need to rethink and perhaps source a pump from a scrappy or even a new one. A spare engine complete with pump shouldn't cost more than £200 for one of these. You may even get a complete car for that, which means you have spares galore.

Huw

Huw

Reply to
Huw