How easy is it to change battery in Burglar Alarm on Astra 1.6I W reg

My factory fitted alarm keeps going off randomly. This happened 3 years ago, and was told its the battery in the alarm.

I got it changed by a garage, which cured the problem.

But how easy is it to change battery in Burglar Alarm and were is it ???

Better still any ideas how to bypass the alarm, so I can keep my dog in there with the doors locked.

Reply to
gray

AFAIK the only battery in the alarm is the one in the remote which should be changed every year or so.

Have you got an led for the alarm in the hazard switch? If so then does it operate as it should which is to stay on for ten seconds and then start to flash. If it starts flashing immediately it shows there is a door or bonnet or boot switch malfunction or just that the system is broken.

Common causes of false alarms are cats wandering about.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Sounds like the battery in the power sounder, google "power sounder astra" for lots of info. Finding replacement batteries can be hard work

- although you may get more joy sourcing an alternative and bodging something together.

Of course, if the power sounder was to "drop off" as happened on my vauxhall, then the problem goes away.

Reply to
Mike Dodd

Yes I ment to say the 'power sounder'

So you can run the car as normal with the power sounder disconnected.

I have always wanted to keep my dog in the car, without the alarm going off. As pushing the 2 internal light switch for 10 secs, to disable the internal sensors does not work.

So would this be OK then ??

Reply to
gray

Dunno.... but mine ran for a quite a long time without one fitted :)

Assuming that it's common across vauxhalls (mine was not an Astra, hence the suggestion to google for Astra) there's a warning to remove the power-sounder within 15 secs (I think) of turning the key to "off" position - to avoid triggering the PS. If not then have "something" to muffle the alarm until the battery runs down. In my case, when it eventually "fell off" the sounder lasted all of about 0.5 seconds before the battery died.

Reply to
Mike Dodd

every day I learn something: the power sounder is meant to be changed as a lump, but people do cut them open and solder in new batteries. There are threads on honest johns and the astra club:

Mrcheerful

In message , gray writes

IIRC, to disable the interior sensor on the Disco 2 and my earlier Discos (96 and 98), simply lock the door with the key, not the fob button. Our cat died a few years back so I can't test it (my recollection, not the cat) though I could get someone I trust to let me out (which rules out my wife) :) and then jump around in there.

I've no idea how this is done in non LR vehicles but there are many on this group who will know.

Reply to
Peter

In message , Peter writes

Having looked at my Disco handbook, I can confirm my IIRC is correct but there are a few other points:

1 all doors, although locked, are not 'superlocked'

2 the flashers go once only

3 unlocking with the key is NOT RECOMMENDED (that's LR shouting, not me) - 'depending on the specification of the vehicle the alarm may be disarmed'. I read this as it will happen in LRs built for some territories. So far as I know, there's never been a problem on mine but as I seldom check whether the alarm indicator is flashing, I can't be sure.
Reply to
Peter

try

davy12342