How far do you go with a car alarm ?

As subject really,

I've been contemplating getting an alarm in my car professionally installed. I have spend a few hours reading up on whats available, from tilt sensors to paging features.

Just curious to what some of you have done, whether you have stuck to a simple alarm concept or gone all out ?

James

Accompanied by the sound of a chisel on slate James, managed to produce the following words of wisdom

Get one of these.

Pete M

tilt, microwave, warn off, 1 mile pager.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

pagers are so last year , also the 1 mile range is as the crow flies and is rapidly reduced by trees , buildings etc all the ones i looked at would only give a few hundred meters at best and were easily jambed , mobile phone pager far better way to go

Reply to
steve robinson

It was about 5 years ago I installed it!

Reply to
Mrcheerful

That might singe my paintwork lol. crazy people!

Reply to
James

The tilt is good if you've got nice wheels I have steelies lol

Reply to
James

What about when one end is picked up on the spectacle lift? Prior to the removal of the whole vehicle?

Reply to
Mrcheerful

I didn't think about that! Its a £5 additional fee for tilt could just be worth it I reckon.

Reply to
James

I'm thinking of doing a DIY install on my Golf. However it's simplified a bit (hopefully) as the Golf isn't hugely new so it shouldn't have too many wires, and I already want to swap the dashboard. I'd want tilt (to avoid the car being towed), pager and some form of carlos fandango interior sensor.

FWIW it's a fairly common trick to do a DIY install, then go to a thatcham installer and say "I've just bought this / lost my cert, can you check it over for me?". Hence getting thatcham approval. And a hell of a lot of alarm installers hack it up according to some I've heard in the trade.

Reply to
Doki

I've yet to see one that I'd call professionally installed. Probably due to the relatively low cost - doing the job properly costs.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)