How long should Fiesta oil filter be?

I know. Silly question of the day. Fiesta 2003 1.4 Zetec. I got a replacement oil filter in the post the other day. When I come to fit it, the old one is longer (at about 5") than the new one (about 3"). I emailed the supplier who said that the one posted to me is correct according to their database, and that manufacturers were now making them shorter to cut costs. I can't say I'm completely convinced, but what is the opinion here? Maybe the one on the car is incorrect? I don't want to take it off and try it, because I'm pretty sure the old one is not coming off in one piece, so I'm not expecting to be able to put it back.

Reply to
Georg von Krapp

the standard oil filter is about three inches long. Many oil filters have the same fitting and seal and internal bits yet are fatter or longer so there is a degree of interchaneability. It is likely that the incorrect one has been fitted to your engine before, since the short filter has been standard on that engine since it was brought in. Your local Ford dealer will have the correct (and if needed latest version) one for your engine and they are not expensive.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Thanks for the quick reply - I feel happier now. My Haynes manual says that there is a cover over the oil filter, so maybe I'm looking at that. But since it has white writing printed all over it, it does look more like the actual filter. Have you ever used one of those oil filter removers with three legs pointing forward? I've already twisted one wrench on this thing (it is so stiff and awkwardly placed) so I'm going to have to get something new. The three-legged thing looks interesting.

Reply to
Georg von Krapp

The three leg type is one of the best for problem filters, I find it is best to put a strong rubber band around the outside of the three legged remover, this stops it flopping about while you get it into position and get the ratchet handle on.

99 per cent of filters I take off with oil filter pliers, the remainder with a three legged twister, a strap wrench, dedicated oil filter sockets, a chain wrench and on rare occasions even used a large jubilee clip levered with a bar. Once it moves a few millimetres it will be just hand tight.
Reply to
Mrcheerful

Thanks for the excellent advice. I've removed oil filters before, but this one is really solid, and doesn't have much free space around it.

Reply to
Georg von Krapp

I use these. Cheap, and haven't failed me yet.

No, I don't know the seller, or care who they are. It's the first link that came up that are the same ones as mine..

Reply to
Mike P

Thanks for that, but I've already tried (and wrecked) something similar. If my filter wasn't so stiff, it might have worked, and even if I persevered, and eventually moved it, there's a good chance that I'm going to push the handle straight through the radiator. I like the idea of the three-legged thing because (I think) I can use a socket set extension bar to get well away from the area before I start levering on it.

Reply to
Georg von Krapp

That's what I use. Mine was £1.99 from one of the cheap crap shops, and as a bonus it opened wide enough (just) to undo the big fat canister on the Ford cargo I had at the time. Well worth what I paid for it.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

Well, to anyone who's interested, the three-legged thing was just stunning at removing the filter from the Fiesta. It's a long time since I bought anything that worked so well.

Reply to
Georg von Krapp

Back in the day, to remove oil filters, I just hammered a screwdriver through the filter and used that to remove it. Then just did up the new one by hand. Never had a problem. Is that not so possible now?

Reply to
AC

On most modern vehicles it would be difficult to access the filter with the screwdriver approach due to all the gubbins that surround the engine these days, even finding the filter can be a challenge! On an old escort or cortina there was loads of room to whack a screwdriver through and since you could lean into the engine bay you would not get covered in oil .

Reply to
Mrcheerful

I always keep the old part until the new one's on. More than once I've had to put something back, because there was something wrong with the new one.

Reply to
Georg von Krapp