How to disconnect a Mk2 Mondeo alarm system?

Hi all.

My old Mondy, that I've owned for 10 of it's 14 year years, is on it's last legs sadly. The latest fault is an intermittant activation of the alarm system, even when the door is unlocked and the alarm therefore not armed.

Yesterday at 5:30 I was woken by the alarm horn, but not doing it's normal on/off/on/off sound. Just an intermittant bip... bip,bip,... pause... bip... and so on, each time with the hazard lights flashing with it.

Locking and unlocking the doors, several times and from both front door locks, didn't stop it so I pulled the wire off of the horn. It stopped of it's own accord about 10 minutes later. It has done this before, but only for a couple of seconds.

So, without immobilising the car, is it possible to physically isolate the alarm system? Is there a common fault where a known set of wires rub and short out? If not I'll just leave it as it is. When the car's finally dead, it's dead. Stop.

Oh, it's an early Mk2, 2.0l ghia manual hatchback. P reg and 1997.

Another oh, I did the alarm test as described in this web page (thanks TTT in november 2010)...

It all came up ok except for the drivers door switch. The switch itself tested ok when removed from the car, so I expect whatever fault there is may be on this ire which is deeply buried in the A post then under the dash.

Any clues folks? And no, sadly I don't have the funds for even a cheapie banger to replace it just now. My council job expires in a month.

Thanks.

Reply to
Mike Barnard

Odds are that it's not buried in the A post, but at the point it bends as it goes into the A post, worth a look.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Can you go back to the alarm unit , find the wires that go to the dd switch and either join them or break them as appropriate so as to simulate a switch that has worked.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

On Thu, 17 Mar 2011 09:51:42 +0000, Duncan Wood ranted:

On my MK1, the wires had broken about 2" forward of the b-pillar under the carpet by the drivers door.

I just disconnected the alarm horn, it's hidden in the N/S/R pillar IIRC..

Reply to
Mike P

I need to find the alarm unit first! I have today off work to sort the alarm so half of that will be analysing the haynes wiring diagram. Find the alarm horn and follow it back to start with, then the hazard light relay and follow it back too.

I wonder how much detail of the alarm system will be in the book?

Reply to
Mike Barnard

I'va done that but now the hazard lights are flashing on as I'm driving. Not very legal I'm sure.

Reply to
Mike Barnard