How to do SRS light reset? - Honda Accord

Hi All,

My local garage has warned that my (t)rusty 98(R) Honda Accord 2.0 ES won't pass its MOT with the 'SRS light' on, as it is at the moment.

I've read about this in a recent 'Car Mechanics' magazine - warning lights once ignored at MOT time are now included in the new MOT.

Thinking it might last me a couple of years, it's now about the 5th year of ownership, so can't complain really, especially for such an old car.

My SRS light only came on when I changed the battery.

Googling only seems to give results for paper-clip resets on USA cars - I can't relate any of that info to my car.

1) Where is the SRS power (yellow) plug on my 98(R) transition model?

2) Where is the Diagnostics Plug on my model? Is it OBD or OBD II ?

3) Will a general diagnostics program & plug (from the dreaded ebay) work for doing an SRS reset on a Honda Accord?

Many thanks,

Mick

Reply to
trickymicky

(E)OBD was not mandatory until 2001; your car *may* be compliant, but doubtful.

Even if it conforms to one of the OBD standards, a basic code reader will not reset things like air bag warnings. They are manufacturer-specific.

Found this (for a '99):

"1st..turn off the ignition and remove the MES connector(green thing with

2 wires in the underdash fuse box)and connect your paperclip between the two wires(insert one side deep and the otherside loosely)

2nd..Turn ignition on, SRS light will come on for about 6 seconds then shut off

3rd..disconnect the paperclip within 4 seconds of the light shutting off. SRS light will come back on.

4th..reconnect the paperclip within 4 seconds of the light coming on, SRS light will go off.

5th..disconnect your paperclip within 4 seconds, SRS light will indicate memory has been reset by blinking 2 times.

6th..Turn vehicle off and wait 10 seconds. Start vehicle, SRS light should come on and then go off as normal.

If it doesn't work the first time, keep trying. Timing is the key here."

here:

Perhaps it might help?

BTW, it's likely that the light will come back on as there must be a fault that put it on in the first place.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan