How to find correct part number for Audi?

I have 1988 Audi 100 2.3E Avant (the same as 1989 model in US), and I need to replace brake master cylinder. I downloaded ETKA, and tried to find part number, but there are more than one option (what I listed here is from the on-line catalog at

- I am at the office at the moment):

tandem master cylinder / F >> 44-J-300 000

22,2X19/17 lhd / 4-,5-cyl. (1) 443611019A

tandem master cylinder / F >> 44-J-300 000

22,2MM GIRLING lhd / (1) 893611021B

tandem master cylinder / for heavy-duty brakes / F >> 44-J-300 000

23,81X19/17 lhd / 5-cylinder (1) 893611021

tandem master cylinder / for heavy-duty brakes

23,81X17,5/18 ATE / 5-cylinder (1) 441611021A

tandem master cylinder / for heavy-duty brakes / for models with heavy-duty running gear 25,40X17,5/18 / CS:AVANT, LIMOUSINE, TURBO

3 N 90074401

How do I know which one do I need? I do not have the original one to check for part number on it. Do I need 22,2X19/17, 23,81X19/17,

23,81X17,5/18 or 25,40X17,5/18 cylinder?

With my BMW i just enter my VIN, and I get the correct part number, can you do the same with Audi ETKA?

Reply to
me

If you don't have the original one, you're bolloxed. Best thing you can do is to measure the distance between the two studs on the servo that hold it on and the internal diameter of the large hole inbetween them and also count how many pipes are leading up to it. From there, you should be able to find one that fits the servo with the correct number of outlets and it'll work, even though it's not the original.

Reply to
Conor

Nedavno Conor napisa:

22,2X19/17 - 22,2 is probably piston diameter, what does 19/17 stand for?

I believe that all of these will fit my car (I guess that Audi would not list them for it otherwise), and which one is exactly for my car depends on the type of breaks that I have (heavy-duty brakes or not). But I do not know which type I have.

Local parts store has one for my type of car, but listed for car w/o ABS. What difference does that make? With or without ABS, master cylinder should be the same, right?

Reply to
Yvan

Well if it's an estate, long wheel base or turbo you need the last one. If not then you can look at the calipers to find out if you've got heavy duty brakes.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Nedavno Duncan Wood napisa:

No, I found the photo on the Internet, and the last one 25,40X17,5/18 has different brake fluid reservoir, so I guess that that leaves me with 23,81X19/17.

What does 19/17 stand for?

Reply to
Yvan

IIRC the first number is the bore, the 2nd&3rd are the stroke of the pistons.

Reply to
Duncan Wood