How to get bluebird alternator belt off?

How do I get the alternator belt off from a nissan bluebird? I have the haynes manual and have loosened a few bolts like it says but it still wont budge. I believe I should be able to push it back towards the engine just by loosening some bolts (not removing them?). Is it on some kind of hinge?

I was thinking maybe with it being on so long the corrosion and muck is making it stick on? Or maybe I havent undone something that needs to be undone.

Reply to
Alan

Sometimes you need to use a pry bar to shift them.

--=20 Conor

I'm really a nice guy. If I had friends, they would tell you.

Earn commission on online purchases, =A32.50 just for signing up:

Conor

Don't pussy about. Sledge.

Reply to
Doki

there are two systems for alternator belt tension, either a swinging alternator or a spring loaded tensioner (there are probably other rare variations too.)

if it is a swinging alternator (ooh err) then you need to spot which is the hinge side and slacken a bolt or two there, slacken the locking side and sometimes undo an adjuster bolt, then the alternator can pivot toward the engine, pulling or pushing on the old belt can be enough to move it.

if it is a spring loaded tensioner (usual with flat serpentine belts), then you need to spot which is the swinging tensioner by pressing or pulling on the belt, one bit will move, get a spanner on the moving bit (usually a long

15mm is needed) and pull against the spring pressure till you can get the belt off.
Reply to
mrcheerful

If it's anything like the early Primera, the alternator pivots on one bolt which just needs slackening. The bolt at the tensioner end when removed may not give enough alternator 'swing' to slacken the belt enough to get it off easy, so it's better to remove the tensioner completely. This is NOT what the Haynes manual said, it takes far longer their way if the belt doesn't come off easy.

Reply to
SteveB

Yes it sounds similar to the Primera. Which bolt is the pivot bolt? Is it towards the bottom of the alternator rather than near the top? I don't have many bolts left to undo. I have tried to follow the haynes manual without any luck.

Reply to
Alan

Pivot bolt is at bottom - think it's 14mm head. Slacken it off and tap head with hammer to losen up. Tensioner has the tensioner on it - the threaded rod with a hole that pulls the top bolt along the slot. Bolt has a 12mm head. Best tool to get the tensioner nut off is either a ratchet spanner or a deep socket as it's usually a lot of turns to undo.

Peter Hill