How to get the wiper arms off their splines?

How to get the wiper arms off their splines? I've undone the nuts, but the buggers are refusing to budge. I've pulled as hard as I can, and there's
nowhere really to lever against. Any suggestions?
Oh, and I've stuck the nut on loosely and hit the top of the spline. Still won't budge. Fiat bloody Punto (2002).
--
Murphy's ultimate law is that if something that could go wrong doesn't, it
turns out that it would have been better if it had gone wrong.
GB wrote:

lift the arm away from he screen and waggle it sideways, always works.
Mrcheerful wrote:

forgot to say: leave the nut on the threads, just a couple of turns, then when it releases you don't suddenly have a wiper arm flapping in the air and damaging paintwork (been there and done that)
On Sat, 06 Nov 2010 14:54:23 +0000, Mrcheerful wrote:
[...]

Care to come and try it on my Focus? :-)
I've always had success doing exactly what you say in the past, but this bugger's not going to come off. It's positioned slightly too high, but I'm living with it.
I bought a purpose-made wiper arm extractor; it bent. I used a little three-legged puller, but if I tightened it any more, it would have broken. I left it on all night in the hope that the wiper fairies would help, but no luck.
The only option would be to hacksaw a lump off it I reckon, and as it's not actually broken, I've given up.
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.

Don't get angry but.... I know you will have soaked it in penetrating oil etc.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
On Sat, 06 Nov 2010 15:40:27 +0000, Gordon H wrote:
[...]

Yep; I made a little "pond" with aluminium foil and Bluetak, and left it overnight. Still won't budge.
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.

Bit of heat? (careful of the screen!)
--
(\__/)
(='.'=)
On Sun, 07 Nov 2010 04:49:21 +0000, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

...and the plastic panel the spindle sticks through...
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.

Chris Whelan wrote:

I have not come across one that would not respond before, but there is always an exception etc. In your case I would drill a small hole parallel to the centre line of the spindle or parallell to the taper (whichever seemed easy) Which should relieve some of the squeeze and try again, or heat it up by gripping it with red hot mole grips.
On 06/11/2010 15:07, Chris Whelan wrote:

The puller I bought *just about* did both front arms on my fabia, but was broken by the time I finished.
Mrcheerful wrote:

Yep! :-)
--
Murphy's ultimate law is that if something that could go wrong doesn't,
it turns out that it would have been better if it had gone wrong.

Lift the arm up, plrise the hub from the spline with a flat scredriver, waggling it either side until it is free. Any moron can do it.
McK.
On Sat, 06 Nov 2010 11:35:23 -0700, McKevvy wrote:
[...]

Wish I was a moron then...
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.

saying something like:

On Shite Old Snotters, yes. Fings are different on modern crap - made to break.
On 06/11/10 14:34, GB wrote:

There's a puller available from Machine Mart and others.

I've prised mine off in the past with an open ended spanner (or 2) and a bit of wiggling !
Graham