How to get the wiper arms off their splines?

Threaded View
How to get the wiper arms off their splines?  I've undone the nuts, but the
buggers are refusing to budge. I've pulled as hard as I can, and there's
nowhere really to lever against. Any suggestions?

Oh, and I've stuck the nut on loosely and hit the top of the spline. Still
won't budge.  Fiat bloody Punto (2002).

--
Murphy's ultimate law is that if something that could go wrong doesn't,  it
turns out that it would have been better if it had gone wrong.

Re: How to get the wiper arms off their splines?
The best way is a puller.
http://www.mptools.co.uk/products.asp?partno=71462

Re: How to get the wiper arms off their splines?

lift the arm away from he screen and waggle it sideways, always works.

Re: How to get the wiper arms off their splines?

forgot to say: leave the nut on the threads, just a couple of turns, then
when it releases you don't suddenly have a wiper arm flapping in the air and
damaging paintwork (been there and done that)

Re: How to get the wiper arms off their splines?
On Sat, 06 Nov 2010 14:54:23 +0000, Mrcheerful wrote:

[...]

Care to come and try it on my Focus? :-)

I've always had success doing exactly what you say in the past, but this
bugger's not going to come off. It's positioned slightly too high, but
I'm living with it.

I bought a purpose-made wiper arm extractor; it bent. I used a little
three-legged puller, but if I tightened it any more, it would have
broken. I left it on all night in the hope that the wiper fairies would
help, but no luck.

The only option would be to hacksaw a lump off it I reckon, and as it's
not actually broken, I've given up.

Chris

--
Remove prejudice to reply.

Re: How to get the wiper arms off their splines?
Don't get angry but....   I know you will have soaked it in penetrating
oil etc.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply

Re: How to get the wiper arms off their splines?
On Sat, 06 Nov 2010 15:40:27 +0000, Gordon H wrote:

[...]

Yep; I made a little "pond" with aluminium foil and Bluetak, and left it
overnight. Still won't budge.

Chris

--
Remove prejudice to reply.

Re: How to get the wiper arms off their splines?

Bit of heat?  (careful of the screen!)

--
(\__/)
(='.'=)

...and the plastic panel the spindle sticks through...

Chris

--
Remove prejudice to reply.

Re: How to get the wiper arms off their splines?

I have not come across one that would not respond before, but there is
always an exception etc.  In your case I would drill a small hole parallel
to the centre line of the spindle or parallell to the taper (whichever
seemed easy)  Which should relieve some of the squeeze and try again, or
heat it up by gripping it with red hot mole grips.

Re: How to get the wiper arms off their splines?
The puller I bought *just about* did both front arms on my fabia, but
was broken by the time I finished.

Re: How to get the wiper arms off their splines?

Yep! :-)

--
Murphy's ultimate law is that if something that could go wrong doesn't,
it turns out that it would have been better if it had gone wrong.

Re: How to get the wiper arms off their splines?

Lift the arm up, plrise the hub from the spline with a flat
scredriver, waggling it either side until it is free. Any moron can do
it.

McK.

Re: How to get the wiper arms off their splines?
On Sat, 06 Nov 2010 11:35:23 -0700, McKevvy wrote:

[...]

Wish I was a moron then...

Chris

--
Remove prejudice to reply.

Re: How to get the wiper arms off their splines?
saying something like:

On Shite Old Snotters, yes.
Fings are different on modern crap - made to break.

Re: How to get the wiper arms off their splines?
There's a puller available from Machine Mart and others.

Re: How to get the wiper arms off their splines?
I've prised mine off in the past with an open ended spanner (or 2) and a bit
of wiggling !

Graham

Site Timeline