how to remove this type of circlip??

on a starter motor shaft i have come across two types of snap ring

the first type (link below), which is easy to remove with my (filed flat for better grip) circlip pliers

but then there is this type (below). how on earth do you remove this type of external snap ring? there is no where for the pliers to grip!!!

many thanks, B

Reply to
beerismygas

Yeah - put the flat of the screwdriver into the notch caused by the cut-off bit of the clip and lever it against whatever it is sitting in - watch your eyes though ;)

Reply to
Richard Parkin

You need a special pair of pingfuckit pliers ;-)

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

screwdriver? is that how everyone here does it?

that doesnt solve how to put a new one on.you cant use a screwdriver without ruining the clip

is there a special tool? mayb i can buy / make one

thx

Reply to
beerismygas

screwdriver? how would you put a new one on without ruining it?

Reply to
beerismygas

You just push them on, norma;;y with your fingers, the taper on the end of the shaft makes it fairly easy.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

I just get whatever socket or bit of tube fits best over the shaft and drive the clip on with that until it pings into place. Very satisfying, that ping, after all the shit you took trying to get the old one off.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "beerismygas" saying something like:

You don't open it right up - you slide it over the shaft from the end.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon