How to tell if Fiesta inlet manifold is split?

I can see what looks like a split on one of the branches. Trouble is, it seems to be where one bit goes into another, a bit like looking down the end of your fingernail. Years ago, with old motorbikes, we'd squirt a little bit of lighter fluid at it and see what happens, but I don't fancy that within the confines of a car engine compartment. The car is making a bit of a hissing noise, which is why I was looking there in the first place, but I'd like something conclusive. Shall I just fill it with Araldite, or something, to be on the safe side?

Reply to
Ivan Dobsky

use a piece of tube to listen, the manifold is glued together and the parts may not be aligned exactly. if it continues to hiss after switch off then coolant tank split is not unknown. A spray of anything flammable at the manifold will show up a leak the quickest, I have never had it cause a fire.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

I have a tin of Bradex that I can't imagine ever using again. I'll try that.

Reply to
Ivan Dobsky

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Blow smoke at it, see if it gets sucked in.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat