Howling Noise From Engine bay

girlfriends citroen ZX has started making a howling noise which sounds like the sort of howl a badly knackered wheel bearing makes but the wheel bearings are ok, there's no play in them and the noise isn't there all the time.

I did a newsgroup search and found this article which perfectly describes the same/similar problem with another ZX

any ideas ?

RT

Reply to
R Taylor

Fan belt, power steering belt, water pump bearing?

Just guessing

adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

none of the above. it was making a right racket on saturday but yesterday it's back to being a nice, quiet little runner.

it's more of a droning noise than a howling and as there's at least two previous citroen ZX howling/droning posts on the groups I know it's not unique to gf's car.

I've heard pumps, pulleys, and all sorts of bearings either on their way out or going pop but I've never hear owt like this.

RT

Reply to
R Taylor

Do you have a resonator box in the air intake pipe work generally between the filter and engine???? A friend has got a ford Scorpio and it has a square plastic box between the filter box and inlet manifold on engine and the other day we were tinkering under the bonnet and it started droning or howling we tracked it down to this box thing when we took the hoses of it and looked down the end there is a extra plastic pipe in this box and it is loose we suspect this is making the noise but since we have put it back it has not done it again !!!!!!!!! I do not know if this is of any help but it sounds similar

Rich

Reply to
Rich

frequency vibration that goes away when you lift off. steve the grease

Reply to
R L Driver

R L Driver wrote:

yup, that's the >I think its the bearing on the off side drive shaft .

I thought it was something to do with the OS driveshaft. I went out for a blatt in it and there does seem to be a bit of play/uptake noise in the driveshaft, no clicking on full lock, just a slight clunk when taking up drive.

on further questioning gf tells me it's been going on for 'ages' and seems to happen on a semi regular basis i.e when she goes over a certain road undulation on the way to work 'it makes that noise'

girls/cars, eh ?

RT

Reply to
R Taylor