HT Leads and valve numbering

I have an Astra 1.6i GLS 16v and wonder if someone could just clarify which is cylinder 1,2 etc.. if i am facing the engine compartment are they numbered from left to right, or from right to left. ie. is the spark plug on the left number 1 or is it number 4? might need to change the HT leads i know the DIS module is numbered but just want to make sure that i connected each lead from the module to the correct spark plug.

Thanks in advance

du.

Reply to
du

Then just do them one at a time?

Hellraiser.........>

Reply to
Hellraiser

left to right as you look

Reply to
mrcheerful

Most engines have No 1 at the cam drive end.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Number 1 is the one nearest the cranshaft pulley.

Reply to
Conor

That engine has number 1 cylinder on the far left. The Vauxhall DIS packs have numbers on each connector....for your own peace of mind, you can trace the leads to the cylinder from the coil. FYI It doesn't matter if you put it on as if 1 was on the right anyway, plugs 1 & 4 fire at the same time, and so do 3 & 2. Therefore if if you 1 in 4, 2 in 3, 3 in 2, 4 in 1 it wouldn't make the blindest.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

No 1 is always at the "front" of the engine (the end furthest from the clutch).

Reply to
Zog The Undeniable

Does this include transverse engines and automatics? ;-)

-- Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Gray

Almost invariably No.1 is at the non clutch/torque converter end. but there is something that has no.1 at the gear box end, I can't remember what, though you are not likely to come across it, as it is something fairly old.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

The message from "mrcheerful ." contains these words:

I think it was a Renault.

Reply to
Guy King

IIRC Renault 16s where that way round

Reply to
Duncanwood

The message from Duncanwood contains these words:

Cor - we had one of those. UKK798H - smashing car. Got into it straight from a B-reg Cortina and it was like riding on air.

Dad got rid of it in the end 'cos he got fed up with replacing driveshafts.

Reply to
Guy King

That sounds familiar :-)

Reply to