I'm after a car with the following specifications::

1/ As light as possible. 2/ Diesel. 3/ Automatic. 4/ 1000 pounds budget.

The aim is to have a car with a 0-30mph time of 3 seconds or less, coupled with fuel economy. I do prefer linear acceleration, as opposed to a slooooooow pullaway with a narrow top end powerband. What do you recommend???

-- Regards SDD

Warning: Email reply address is a spamtrap, remove teeth to reply directly !!!!

Reply to
Ahgowonwidya

Ignoring 1/, Autotrader has 4 cars in the entire country to choose from. One is a Merc 300, so your choice is:

1993 CITROEN ZX AURA DIESEL AUTOMATIC, 1993, auto, 4dr hatchback, MoT tax June 04, electric windows, sunroof, cd player, recent service and cam belt, very nice condition. £575 . ono.

1993 TOYOTA Corolla 2 litre Diesel DX Saloon Auto, 1993, K reg. 12 mths MOT, new timing belt & pads, power steering, 12,000 mileage, excellent runner, good condition, bargain at. £795

PEUGEOT 106 1.5 Diesel, M reg. Automatic. 6 months Tax, MoT May 2004, sunroof, regularly serviced, new front tyres, good condition. £1,000

The 106 would be the lightest but I'm not sure they actually made a diesel auto....

Reply to
Grant Mason

An AX is pretty light, but I don't think you'll get an auto, especially not a diesel one.

Reply to
Doki

Ahgowonwidya ( snipped-for-privacy@teethdodds24.fsnet.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Didn't like the answers you got in uk.rec.cars.misc the other day?

The answers here will be very similar.

Diesel Automatics are very scarce, and anything within that budget will be close to dead

If that 12,000 miles on the Corolla's genuine, that'll be the stereotypical One-Grandma-Owner car.

Reply to
Adrian

Was it the same poster? Didn't notice.

Wow, didn't see that either. 1200 miles/year - makes SWMBO look like a long distance lorry driver with her 4500.

Reply to
Grant Mason

Grant Mason ( snipped-for-privacy@mason.sh) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

TBH, neither did I - but it'd be one heck of a coincidence if not.

Never been warm in it's life. Probably had one service in all that time.

Still, being an auto, it won't have been subjected to the usual full-rev, clutch-slip parking.

I was sorting through some paperwork for the Saab last night - at 3 years old, it had 12,000 miles on it - Company car for a city banker boy.... Hiho. It's going to be getting a bit better use than that next month...

Adrian

Yes ... i was wondering if french tin cans would be the way to go. The pug would be slightly heavier than my ax ... virtually the same running gear, although the pug is taller in many places where the ax is not. Obviously as one poster said, the ax never came with an auto-box (not enough room, bleedin' tight enough as it is to change a manual box). I'm sure i've seen a few 106's with an autobox fitted, so hopefully the advert above is true. I might go for a few road tests soon ... i suppose the ultimate would be the pug fitted with a 1 litre petrol autobox (lower geared=quicker leap aways). Currently my tom foolery car is a 122bhp/680kg citroen ax fitted with a pug 205xs gearbox which is nice and low geared. .........And my other car (an old 2.7Ltr bmw) should be geared to do

100mph/3000rpm, but i altered it to 80mph/3000rpm. Both cars quick off the line, the ax is going ... but i want diesel car with similar sprint away performance. Hence .... light weight/torque convertor transmission.