Ignition Lock Old Fiesta

Have an old Fiesta stuck in drive which I want to move, I do not have the key.

How do I break the ignition lock to turn the wheel, note this car is scrap.

DJR

Reply to
David Richardson

Ask any 12 year old. Either use a bar type steering lock to turn the wheel, or get your feet in the spkes, or use any ford key and wiggle in the lock till it undoes, or get a slide hammer and self tapper, screw the self tapper in where the key goes and use the slide hammer to extract the barrell, or disconnect the steering column from the rack at the bottom end and steer by kicking the wheels (don't try towing like this,) or get a scrappy to pick the whole car up with a hiab.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

tapper in where the key goes and use the slide hammer to extract the barrell

Just tried that, ahhhhh did not work - guess I need a 12 year old to help.

Reply to
David Richardson

In message , David Richardson writes

The following is very easy:- Remove the shroud round the column. You can now see the two Shear Bolts that hold the steering lock to the column. Using a centre punch and a small hammer, tap the screw heads rounds anti-clockwise, after moving them less than a quarter of a turn, you will be able to press on them with your thumb and screw them out. You might find it a bit easier to remove the two bolts that hold the column up to the dash panel. I have done no end like the above on the roadside, and it only takes a couple of minutes and you do not damage anything doing it.

Reply to
Terry Birch

The message from Terry Birch contains these words:

Except on those occasions where the smartarse who fitted the bolts last time used threadlok!

Reply to
Guy King

In message , Guy King writes

Then centre punch the centre of the shear bolt head and take the head off with a cobalt drill.

Reply to
Terry Birch

The message from Terry Birch contains these words:

Which is harder to do by the roadside!

Reply to
Guy King

In message , Guy King writes

Cordless!!!

Reply to
Terry Birch

Thanks guys, think from what you say I need an auto mechanic.

DJR

Reply to
David Richardson

In news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com, David Richardson decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Dearie me, an old Fiesta and you can't get the steering lock off? Psssh.

Right, easiest way, sit in passengers seat, foot through steering wheel spoke, and kick seven shades of shit out the spoke. Either the wheel will break (unlikely), or the crap quality alloy used for the steering lock will (likely).

Alternatively, and you know it makes sense....

*ANGLE GRINDER* :D
Reply to
Pete M

The message from Terry Birch contains these words:

The batteries on mine have died.

Reply to
Guy King