Immobiliser on Ford Fiesta Zetec 1.4

Hello

I would welcome some suggestions please.

My four year old Ford Fiesta has deceided that it will not start anymore. The previous few months I was having problems starting it, where it decided to start seemingly when the weather was mild.

It now refuses to go anywhere.

I thought at first it ws the battery and i have had that replaced. The fault is still the same. An AA man advised that it was the immobiliser that was causing the fault; he tested the battery and the engine and said that they were fine (he even proved that by getting a response from the engine when he turned it).

If it is the immobiliser and at the moment I imagine that this is going to be prohibitively expensive for me, is there some way of removeing a fuse or cutting some cabling that will neutralise the immobiliser so that I can drive the car?

Thanks

Lokai

If its a zetec 1.4 we assume its a 97-02 model car? Inwhich case the immobilizer works with a chipped key and the first thing you should do is try your spare key. If you could tell us what the red LED in the clock is doing when you try to start would help too. If it is flashing x amount of times then its a fault with the immobilizer and if its dead altogether then you have a more fundemental power supply problem...

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Hello Tim

Thanks for the reply. yes, it does flash a few times a second during and a little after I start the engine.

I have tried the spare key and that has had no effect - the same thing happens.

The Fiesta in question is a 1999 version Zetec 1.4i.

Would there be any easy way of disconnecting the immobiliser?

Thanks

Reply to
Lokai

Erm nope! Thats the whole point of it. The Ford PATS system is pretty much[1] by-pass-able-proof.

Right so the money is on a failed pickup coil or the multiplug having pulled out at the steering column end- pretty easy to check with the shroud removed. New pick up coils are about £28 from dealer- I know there will be a recovery charge but this may be the best route to persue if you are not mechanically minded.

Tim..

[1] they are bypassable for testing but obviously cant disclose how on here!
Reply to
Tim..