Improving BMW Mini not using factory upgrades

The difference between the BMW so called mini *First* and the mini *One* seems to be the One has about 20 bhp extra (from the same engine block as the First). Additionally it has different wheels (not alloys), air conditioning and a different steering wheel. This results in a price jump from £10.950 on the road to £12.345 on the road.

Adding the so called 'Chillie Package' upgrade to the One (its not available on the First) which includes:

Floor mats

Passenger seat height adjustment

Map pockets

Fog lamps

Interior lamp package

Chrome bumper inserts

16" 5-Star Light Alloy Wheels

Roof Spoiler

Sports Suspension PLUS

Brilliant silver interior trim

Sports seats

Cloth/leather upholstery

Leather steering wheel & gearknob

This brings the price up to £14,000 or so (including the 'tlc' five year service program at £185).

Seems a big price hike for really not that much. We know of a case where continually adding optional extras and having the wing mirrors painted a non-normal colour has brought the final price up to £17,000 ! Marketing men rejoice.

What would you guys do to the basic 'First' version of the mini if you had another £7,000 to spend on the car. Guess it wouldn't be simply an interesting paint job.

Pleased to receive any advice in helping to advise someone to go for a more creative way of spending £7,000 on the basic model.

I guess a 'super-charger' would be a start to improve performance and economy...what else then?

Grateful for any advice on where to go to get some improvements you think worthwhile, and the very approximate cost. Thanks.

Reply to
john royce

"john royce" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Don't buy it, then.

If you gave me the £11k price of a "basic" Mini First plus £7k, and told me to buy a Mini, I think you might find that there'd be this

a hefty deposit into the bank...

Reply to
Adrian

Bury it in a pit at midnight with garlic.

I'd buy one of these:

Only I'd probably shell out a bit more and get a 2006 model with the CATS suspension.

Reply to
Steve Firth

"john royce" wrote in news:h6mtca$pu9$1 @news.eternal-september.org:

This

Tunku

Ah, this is obviously some strange use of the word 'Mini' that I wasn't previously aware of.

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

Reply to
Ttoommy

Reply to
Ttoommy

In article , john royce writes

You need to look at the far side of the deal (e.g. when you come to sell or trade it in). Chavved-up cars, and that includes inappropriate factory options, kill the resale value of the car.

Used Minis are now falling in price. It'd make more sense financially to buy one used from a Mini dealer with the warranty and the desired options. Let the original owner suffer the depreciation.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Welcome to the BMW way.

If you want speed, 20 bhp isn't going to make that much difference, the only fast Mini is the Cooper S, why not get a used one of those instead?

Zimmy

Or perhaps consider a Fiat 500, a seriously stylish car IMO.

Reply to
johannes

So you've got £18k to spend on a Mini and you are thinking of starting with the base moddel and adding extras rather than just ordering a Cooper D Graphite?

If it were me I'd be looking at one of the last of the supercharged Cooper S models, play around with the pulleys, map and exhaust (just like the one my father had till he followed me to TDi (it was one of the most fun cars I've driven and had a hoot of an engine note)) then add a Quaife ATB diff (possibly the most entertaining modification I've made)

Reply to
Depresion