Increasing Spark Plug Gap

I've found that increasing the spark plug gap from the manufacturer's recommendation of 0.8mm to 1.0cm has improved the slightly lumpy running of my Volvo 480 (felt like a slight misfire). However, I'm wondering if this is indicative of another problem, and by doing this I'm just masking it. It seems to run lumpily (is that a word?) when the oil pressure is around the middle of the gauge, and this is reflected in the engine temperature too - i.e, when only slightly warm, the lumpiness appears at idle, because the oil pressure is in the middle of the gauge, and when warmed up, the lumpiness has gone from idle, but is at slightly higher revs (say, for example

1800RPM), when the oil pressure gauge is reading in the middle again. When the oil pressure's high, it runs fine.

So... my two questions are:

- Can anyone tell me what effects increasing the spark plug gap by 0.2mm from the manufacturer's recommendation will have? I assume it'll run a bit hotter?

- Can anyone tell me why I could be seeing this odd oil-pressure/misfire pattern, and if there's anywhere else I should be looking for a problem? - Tappets sometimes sound a bit noisy when cold (shims - not hydraulic - possibly never been checked in 95,000 miles) - could this be the cause of the problem?

So far, I've replaced the following:

- Spark Plugs, HT leads, Rotor arm, Distributor cap, Fuel filter, Lambda Sensor.

I've tried swapping from another car:

- Injectors, Coil, RPM Sensor, Knock Sensor, IAC Valve, Fuel pressure regulator.

Vacuum pressure test readings look fine, so I assume I've got no leaks. Compression test comes back fine too. Diagnostics computer doesn't report any fault codes. I've done an engine flush too, incase that helped, but didn't seem to make any difference.

Many thanks!

Ben.

Reply to
Ben Harris

I seem to remember volvos years ago getting long electrode plugs to make them run smoother (Renault engined ones)

Reply to
George Spigot

Yeah, this is a Renault engined one. It's got the correct Volvo spark plugs fitted at the moment, and before that I had some Bosch Super 4's, which didn't make any difference (other than not being able to change the size of the gap easily).

Ben.

Reply to
Ben Harris

I think your symptoms changing with oil pressure/ temperature are probably just the petrol/air mixture changing a little with temperature; the oil pressure variation is also following the temperature change so can be ignored. Engines are often tuned to within a whisker of misfiring at the weak end of the usable mixture range at low throttle settings for economy and pollution reasons, so anything a little out at small throttle settings that makes it weaker or just less efficient at igniting it can cause minor misfires, stumbling etc.

If it was a Nissan I'd say get NGK plugs, it sounds just like the symptoms you get with Bosch 4 plugs when they've done a few thousand miles. The supposed reason is that the spark is in the wrong place on 'enhanced' plugs.

Reply to
SteveB

This sounds like a lean condition, and a wider plug gap is better at lighting a lean mix than a narrower one (if the ignition system is powerful enough to fire the wider plug gap).

You may have just a lean mixture (the fenix FI was never the most sophisticated) or it could be caused by carboned inlet valves (soak up some fuel) or poor spray pattern from the injectors- you dont say how many miles the car has...?

tim..

Reply to
Tim (remove obvious)

"Tim (remove obvious)" wrote in message news:d293r3$4dt$ snipped-for-privacy@hercules.btinternet.com...

The car's done 95,000 miles. I've tried swapping the injectors from another car at the scrapyard, and exactly the same slight miss occurred. It could be that they also didn't have a good spray pattern, but the problem was identical, so for the time being I've ruled them out. It's not a complete miss, like you'd get by completely removing a HT lead, it's less violent than that, but still noticeable.

Could it be that one of the gaskets on the inlet side is leaking? I thought that the vacuum gauge would have shown this, but I'd been considering replacing them anyway, in case they were the cause. Or.... what would happen if a gasket on the exhaust side was leaking? Would this confuse the ECU (via the lamba sensor) into thinking it was running richer, and then the ECU is making the mixture leaner to compensate?

Thanks for your advice!

Ben.

Reply to
Ben Harris

hydraulic -

in that case then, sounds like you have an inlet air leak on one intake runner- spray some soapy water or an unlit propane torch around the manifold to head joint and look for a change in engine note whilst at idle.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (remove obvious)