Indicator works for a few seconds only

Hi there, My 1997 Ford Mondeo has just developed a fault with the indicators. The left indicator is fine, but the right one will flash from between one and six times and then stay off. The dashboard indicator also goes off at the same time. What could this be? It would make more sense if it didn't work at all. What should I check first?

Thanks for any tips.

Reply to
Art Vandelay

Faulty flasher unit.

Reply to
Conor

Thanks, is that a big job/expensive to replace? I know little about cars I'm afraid.

Cheers for the reply.

Reply to
Art Vandelay

My car is a bit like that. I put the indicators on and then they go off and then back on..............

I'll get my coat.

Reply to
lost it

The message from "lost it" contains these words:

Yes it's working, no it's not, yes it's working, no it's not, yes it's working, no it's not, yes it's working, no it's not.....

Reply to
Guy King

if it works on one side ok then probably the relay is ok.

operate the hazard switch a few times, it may have a bad connection.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Locate where it is , usually in main fusebox - get someone to turn on indicators and feel which one is ticking, pull out and put in new one. "Shouldn't" be too expensive. Plenty in scrapyards.

Reply to
Conor

This morning it began happening on both sides. I did try using the hazard lights and alltough yesterday they also stopped after a few flashes, this time they kept going and now both indicators work. Any idea what that could be?

Thanks for your reply.

Reply to
Art Vandelay

Hazard warning light switch in that case.

Reply to
Conor

The hazard switch should only be used infrequently in normal driving, the contacts become corroded and fail to make contact, often on one side only. Sometimes I have had to flood the switch with wd 40 and operate it a good few times, before the system will work properly. This often only manifests itself just after MoT, when the hazard switch gets tested.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

The hazard switch is quite a complicated switch. It can't use the same feed as the hazards as it must work with the ignition off. So it also has to disconnect them from their circuit otherwise indicating while the hazards were on would then switch the ignition on and off...

Of course modern cars may use electronics to do the same thing.

If you can remove the switch, clean it with some switch cleaning fluid - Maplin, etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

the switch

Reply to