Injector lifespan

What is the expected lifespan of a diesel injector? Fiat 105 JTD 2000.

I ask as I am having one replaced, but the mech wanted to do all four, 'if one has gone, the others are likely to follow'.

Is there any logic in this? I can't see the point of fixing what aint bust.

Reply to
R D S

R D S ("R D S" ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Don't complain when you have the same problem in a month or two, then.

Reply to
Adrian

When I had my Xanita 1.9 TD, I was told that injectors can fail in a short time or a long time.. me previously being a petrol man I saw them as like spark plugs.. replace a set at a time..

the garage assured me that I didn't need to replace them all, and sure enough in 100K miles I only ever had one replaced (about 20K).

however... I believe on more modern engines this might be different. also if one has failed has it led to the others being fed too much power?

So basically its another " how long is a bit of string" question.. you might not need to replace the rest any time soon.. or tomorrow another one might go.

Loopy

loopy livernose

The worst that'll happen, is the other injectors pack up. The best that'll happen, is they all keep working.

You could replace all four, to find one of them dies next week. It's all a case of how much risk you want to take, and how much of an inconveniance another failing would be.

Reply to
moray

Huh? If a different injector goes next week it won't really be the same problem will it?

I thought it was a reasonable question, if one is faulty it doesn't really tally that the other 3 are no good, or does it?

Reply to
R D S

I would replace the failed one, and leave the rest.

You are looking at a well-over-£1500 job if you choose to replace all the 4.

On some common railers however, all the injectors are matched so must all be replaced at the same time- eg Volvo D5, Ford 2.7V6, Ford duratorq's etc.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim..

Duratorq's aren't matched. They're just coded....

Reply to
moray

As it stands I am just having the one done.

Why do they code the injectors, is it just badness?

Reply to
R D S

The injectors are calibrated when they are manufactured, the code is the calibration information so the ecu knows exactly how much fuel that injector will inject for a given fuel pressure and opening duration, the ecu can then compensate for differences in the injectors.

Reply to
SimonJ

Many mechanics chicken out when it comes to CR diagnostics, and simply want to change as much as they can, to make sure they definitely get the faulty part. Has your mechanic narrowed the fault down to one injector, or have you got a misfire and he doesn't know which cylinder is misfiring?

Why did the injector fail? If it has simply expired for no particular reason (which is not uncommon for CR injectors!) then just change the one. If it has failed for external factors, such as the engine has been badly overheated, or you have a bad batch of fuel, then it may be worth changing the lot.

Reply to
SimonJ