Intercooler pressure or vacuum?

Trying to help out a young lad with a split in the plastic end box with a temporary fix, until a replacement can be sourced.

Is an turbo diesel intercooler under pressure or vacuum when compared to atmosphere please - I can pull the split together with staples, but need to know whether it is under pressure or vacuum to be able to decide whether it needs to be sealed from the inside or outside of the split.

What order of pressure can I expect there, the construction suggests not very much actual pressure? Its an R reg Ford Focus, if that makes a difference.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Pressure.

- I can pull the split together with staples, but need

Whatever the boosts set to. So about a bar.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Its under pressure, is that not obvious from turbo-engine fundementals?

Anyhow, i doubt you will hold it together and sealed with "staples" or the like, so he will just have to travel about under normally aspirated form + loud hiss form until he gets a new 'cooler.

PS the 90bhp TD runs about 0.9 bar boost.

Tim. .

Reply to
Tim..

Yes just under 15psi and I hope the staples do not break free and enter the engine.

Reply to
Gio

Tim.. brought next idea :

Er, no - I have never had need to study diesels and had no idea what an intercooler might be or even looked like. `

Sealed up and refitted last night and no phone calls of complaint about it breaking down yet - these were industrial grade staples, folded on the inside so not much chance of ingestion. It came out of the garage with a split in the end box after a 'professional mechanic' fitted a new pump. The mechanic had tried to Araldite the end box split together, claiming the extra power provided by the new pump had caused it to split.

Thanks for the help :-)

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Harry Bloomfield saying something like:

Blimey. I must fit a new pump, pronto. All that lovely free extra power.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Blimey, how fucjed was the old one.

They're not expensive down the scrappys.

Reply to
Duncan Wood