Interference on FM after exhaust replacement on Honda Accord

Hi,

I recently had the mid-section on my 97 Accord exhaust replaced, and since then I have been getting intermittent FM radio reception problems (crackling, poor signal/tuning, general hiss or mono signal). This could obviously be a coincidence, but I thought I'd ask first whether there is any way an exhaust part could affect radio reception (I feel slightly silly asking BTW).

I guess another possibility is a poor ground somewhere, or my aerial decided to break the same day, although it affects music delivered by my inline FM modulator as well? I thought maybe the stereo is on its way out, but the CD changer plays perfectly. I'm having trouble thinking how to troubleshoot this one!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, Al

Reply to
Al Reynolds

Exhaust systems can act as an aerial and radiate interference. To prevent this some have earthing straps. But it's a long shot. I'd say it's unlikely any of the car aerial etc wiring goes anywhere near the exhaust so shouldn't have been damaged or disturbed when fitting a new one, so it's likely just coincidence.

If it uses an aerial built into the rear screen etc there will be a RF amp associated with this and the likely cause of the problem - poor connection or simple failure.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Al Reynolds" saying something like:

In addition to what Dave suggests, I'd also have a look at any suppression caps or earth straps that might be fitted under the bonnet or under the floor - they might have been dislodged by the Kwack Fart fitters.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

most japanese and many english cars have an exhaust earth strap, if it isn't there, add one. any non earthed part can give interference, including wheels! some vehicles have a brush in the hub bearing cap to avoid this.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

"Mrcheerful" wrote in news:yp54l.10469$ snipped-for-privacy@text.news.virginmedia.com:

Al's exhaust grounds through a bolted flange just behind the oil pan.

However, Al may want to check for the existence and integrity of the engine ground strap. This item will attach to a valve cover nut and go to either the rad support or a shock tower. It's common for these to break or get left off entirely.

Reply to
Tegger

At DC yes it is grounded via the engine, but at 100MHz the impedance along the exhaust is high and all sorts of radio noise (clicking crackling) could build up along it. On some cars the manufacturer may have found they needed to add a ground strap at some point along the exhaust to stop interference.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

"Al Reynolds" wrote

If the previous suggestions don't work, check to see whether the mid-section is properly connected to the other sections. The metals may be rubbing against each other, creating sparking.. maybe. Always possible....

Reply to
Howard Lester

"Mark" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posted.metronet:

Honda does not do this, to my knowledge. I've never seen such a thing on a Honda exhaust.

Reply to
Tegger