Interior Mirror glue

Someone's obviously knocked off and stuck back on the rear view mirror in my new Mondeo. What's the best bet to stick it back on? Ring up autoglass and see if they will sell me whatever they use?

Reply to
Doki

The message from "Doki" contains these words:

Having tried many, I use the one with a syringe of glue and a mesh wotnot that you trim to fit. Never had one fall off after fitting with that.

Reply to
Guy King

I've personally had great success with Halfords rear view mirror sticking on kit.

IIRC it was only a few quid.

Just make sure that the mirror and screen are _scrupulously_ clean.

AFAIK, it's a small piece of "loose" fabric (loose weave) and a tube of superglue. Smear the glue on the mirror back, stick the fabric on it, and then stick the whole thing to the black bit that the mirror came off. Hold in place for 5 minutes, and it's done!

HTH

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

The message from Pete Smith contains these words:

Works better if you warm the screen up first. Go for a drive with the blowers on, and when the screen's warm stick a warm (not hot, just filled from the hot tap) water bottle on the outside. Don't do that to a cold screen 'cos you risk cracking it.

Reply to
Guy King

I used Loctite 'Retainer' once. Held it with sellotape until it set. I reckon it's as good as products designed for the job. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Double sided sticky pads do work, but only if you apply them with a lot of heat. The best way to do it is clean the window and mirror first. Then boil the kettle. Fill a mug with boiling water and carefully put the arm of the mirror into the mug. Remove one of the backing papers from the sticky pad then take the mirror out of the water, quickly wipe it with a towel and press the pad onto the hot metal. While it is still hot remove the other backing pad and press the mirror into place on the windscreen. Hold in place for a few minutes.

Take great care not to burn or scald yourself.

David.

Reply to
David Linley

When my Mondi mirror fell off, I just used a double sided sticky pad (50p for 2) from my local car accessory shop, made specifically for sticking rearview mirrors to windscreens. Its got a green and a black backing plastic, which you peel off (obviously). Black side to mirror, Green side to glass.

Only 2 things to keep in mind:-

1 The old sticky pad MUST be removed from the mirror arm (its never left on the window IME), and its a good idea to use meths to ensure the surface is absolutely clean. 2 Clean the windscreen area with meths too. Once the mirror is stuck onto the window DO NOT ATTEMPT TO ADJUST IT for at least 24 hours, unless you use two hands and one hand holds the stem of the mirror against the windscreen to take the strain. After 24 hours the adhesive bonds to the windscreen - that's what the chap from Autoglass told me.

Following this advice - mine's still stuck on (famous last words...)

HTH

Reply to
Paul King

The message from "Paul King" contains these words:

Depsite using these as you suggested I've not had much luck with 'em. The other promble I have with 'em is they allow the mirror to vibrate more.

Reply to
Guy King

I was getting through loads of sticky pads that in the end I bought a new mirror which had a twist on suction pad. Never had any more problems.

Reply to
Mark

I totally agree.You just can't get better stuff .. Stuart

Reply to
Stuart