Intermittant Low Oil Pressure

The Car: Vx Corsa 1.7D 1998 (Isuzu engine)

The Problem, when driving the car around sharp bends (usually right handers) and occasionally up steep gradients the oil light lights for a moment or two.

The first time it happened I thought, by-eck I've let the oil level get down (leak from around the rocker cover) so checked it the following day, and topped up but there wasn't much required, I thought no more about it until it happened again, oil level is fine, just on the 'top nic' on the dipstick, when cold and level.

So apart from only driving around left handers and on the level does anyone have any suggestions, where to start looking?

Oil is relatively fresh, I was thinking of doing an oil and filter change anyway as the car has had a top end rebuild recently just to get any bits out, could the filter be conceivably blocked?

Or am I looking at a failed sensor (anyone know the location on this engine?) or even a knackered oil pump?

As the engine as had a top end recently I'd quite like to keep it (her if the girlfriend is looking) for another couple of years before I take it to be shot and so would rather like to avoid screwing up the bottom end.

Is the oil pump accessible from the sump? (crosses fingers)

ooohh, out of curiosity what is the usual failure mode of an oil pump?

Many thanks

Tom

Reply to
Tom Burton

I'd check you have the right dipstick in in case the one you have is from $RANDOM_CAR and is therefore giving you a false reading.

Reply to
Chris Street

Like what Chris said, check you've got the right dipstick. Or drain the oil and measure it, you might be a few hundred mls out but it sounds like you'll find it's litres out.

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

Catastrophic!

You may have a failure of the oil suction pipe to the pump. OTOH it could be many other things. Let us know when you find out.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

First off I would add an extra half litre of oil to see if it stops the light flashing. The symptom certainly suggests low oil level uncovering the pick-up. Years ago I had an old VW on which I never checked the oil, just added some when the light started to flash on the sharp bend near home.

The usual failure mode of an oil pump is not so much failure as wearing out, you'll find the oil light starting to glow a bit at traffic lights when it's at tickover and the engine is hot. If the oil pump were to fail as in stop working, the oil light would come on and stay on. Followed by the dreaded death rattle.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

First off add more oil, if that does it, great.

Other possibility is the light sender wire touching something.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

That's what I was hoping, as we disturbed lots of wiring when we did the top end..... any offers on where the sensor is located?

IIRC This engine isn't featured in the Haynes BOL Hence my not buying it :-D

Cheers Again

Tom

( Ill carry out the above recommendations too, with another dippy and extra oil..... When I next drain the oil (soon) I shall measure it too.

Ta Again

Tom

Reply to
Tom Burton

Mostly the sender is on the back of the engine low down on the right, but they do vary and I can't remember on that exact engine. If the wire rubs through on the drive shaft that gives your symptoms.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

check the oil level first then the sender then the wiring go round a corner that you KNOW will bring the light on everytime you will either have oil surge and the pipe isn't pickingit up from the sump the sensor may have broken the wire may have come lose and could possibly have chaffed through and earth out your engine might well be bazookaed

Reply to
dojj

From memory, the pressure switch is located on the right hand side of the cylinder head, on the intake manifold side. Check the wiring in the vicinity of the battery tray - that was a usual culprit for causing chafed wiring.

Anthony Remove eight from email to reply.

Reply to
Anthony Britt