Intermittent brake noise - any suggestions

In the last few days I've been hearing an intermittent "grinding" noise coming from the front driver's side wheel of my one year old Golf Mk V.

I thought at first it might be a chipping, so I took it to ATS. They cleaned out the discs, but couldn't find anything, and it's still happening. It may only happen for a few seconds at a time and not re-occur for another

15 minutes, but when it *is* happening it doesn't sound very healthy. The best way I can describe it is that it sounds a bit like when you sharpen a chisel on a grinding wheel.

As my local VW garage can't look at it until next week, I'm wondring whether anyone has suggestions as to what could be causing it.

TIA

Reply to
Hungerdunger

Typically Id say it was worn pads - but if ATS has checked it - and they shd know what they're doing! Thats what my money would be on. No low pad warning lights on on dash? You could be damaging the disks too being used while pads are making this noise - but surely ATS wd've seen this........

Reply to
Matthew Millichap

take it back under guarantee

Reply to
mrcheerful

YOu've probably got a bit of grit caught in the pad, caliper or disc shield

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Thanks everyone. The VW Dealers are now able to look at it tomorrow (Thursday) so I should have the answer before too long.

Reply to
Hungerdunger