Intermittent wipers on old Astra.

Hi All,

Her old 92 Belmont just clocked up 123456 miles (didn't have my camera with me at the time) and it's still generally going well but she has reported at least 3 instances recently where 'the wipers don't work'. I've gone out there then and since tested them about another 10x and they have always been fine for me (so I can't fix what's not broken). ;-(

So, before I start poking about, are there any 'known faults' that might offer this sort of symptom please?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Hi All,

Her old 92 Belmont just clocked up 123456 miles (didn't have my camera with me at the time) and it's still generally going well but she has reported at least 3 instances recently where 'the wipers don't work'. I've gone out there then and since tested them about another 10x and they have always been fine for me (so I can't fix what's not broken). ;-(

So, before I start poking about, are there any 'known faults' that might offer this sort of symptom please?

Cheers, T i m

Could it be a dodgy relay, wiper linkage/motor issue ?

Reply to
Micheal

Hi All,

Her old 92 Belmont just clocked up 123456 miles (didn't have my camera with me at the time) and it's still generally going well but she has reported at least 3 instances recently where 'the wipers don't work'. I've gone out there then and since tested them about another 10x and they have always been fine for me (so I can't fix what's not broken). ;-(

So, before I start poking about, are there any 'known faults' that might offer this sort of symptom please?

Cheers, T i m

Could it be a dodgy relay, wiper linkage/motor issue ?

Reply to
Micheal

I found this fault on a corsa, the wiper swivel bits had seized. Reoving the rack , stripping it and greasing up as needed fixed it in about an hour.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

But presumably it wasn't working at all then (or was the seizing thing intermittent)? On this, every time /I've/ gone to test it it works quietly, as smooth / free as you like and on all speeds inc wipe_on_wash etc?

Which is what we tried to do on Daughters Corsas rear+ wiper but it was seized solid (and needed a second hand on off eBay).

Cheers, T i m

p.s. I think the washer still works when the wipers don't (she thinks).

Reply to
T i m

I'm guessing it could be anything at this point and therefore difficult to know where to start when it /is/ working (as it has been every time I've gone to test it).

I was going to start by checking any earths (are these motors rubber mounted?) and maybe pulling and re-inserting and relays and fuses etc. That said the last time I looked it was all pretty clean and corrosion free in the relay / fuse box?

If people think it could be a linkage issue then I guess I could suggest she gives it a joggle the next time it happens (assuming I don't see it first etc).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

they worked when they felt like it. disconnect the link to the motor and see if the important bits move easily.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Ah, ok.

Will do, thanks.