Is it safe to combine different oils of the same grade?

For example: if my motor had Titan GT1 5W/30 in it and for top-up I use, let's say Castrol 5W/30 - would this be OK? Just wondering because I have some spare oil of the same grade and don't want to go out and buy more oil unless I really have to.

FWIW, both oils are classed as BMW long life oils.

Thanks.

Reply to
Bob

It depends on what additives are in the individual oils, most oil company experts will tell you not to mix modern oils (they would though).

Reply to
Depresion

Yes. That's part of the SAE specification.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Perfectly OK, I have done that for years. Oil is oil and there is no real difference between Halfords and Honda oil that conforms to the same specification apart from £12/litre.

Reply to
Ian

I'd be worried if oils couldnt be combined since you never completely remove the last lot when you change!

Reply to
james

It's OK to mix oils as long as they meet or exceed the manufacturers specifications, usually found in the owners handbook. For example SAE, ACEA, API, etc.

Reply to
Ali