Is it time to change battery?

The battery fitted to my dad's Audi 80 is an original VW Audi battery and was fitted new when he purchased the car 10 years ago. It is used daily and although the engine starts first time on the button I was wondering with its age if it's now time to change it.

With the battery removed from the car I cleaned it up and topped the cells with de-ionised water and popped a couple of batt-aid tabs into each cell. I fully charged it with a 3 phase charger then let it stand for 15 hours to remove any surface charge. The DVM shows 12.75 volts and the SG readings in each cell from my Halfords hydrometer are;

1.21, 1.22, 1.22, 1.23, 1.22, 1.22 Do these readings give any of the more knowledgeable folk an idea of the general condition of the battery?
Reply to
redwood

Unless it's really important that he never gets stuck with a flat battery, leave it (stick some jump leads in the boot...). I've no idea about the numbers, but I've known OEM batteries last a very long time.

Reply to
Doki

"Doki" wrote in news:rVzmh.51970$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net:

Based on the no-load voltage, you have a good battery, but that test doesn't say anything about it's ability to crank the engine. As Doki said, if you are keen on maintaining continuity of reliability, replace it. Modern ones have been known to go from a good to defective condition quite suddenly. OTOH, if you have breakdown cover and don't mind the risk of having to make use of it one day, leave it - it may have years left in it!

Stu

Reply to
Stu

On Tue, 2 Jan 2007 21:04:35 -0000, I waved a wand and this message magically appears in front of redwood:

Batteries should be changed every four years regardless of its age.

Reply to
Alex Buell

That sentence makes no sense, and why should they?

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Doctor Who, I presume?

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

More good old usenet bollocks. If the batteries hold a charge and start the car then they are good until they go bad. Thirteen years is my record for original battery, a Fiaam, before it failed and I hope the replacement, a Lucas Premium, will last as long again. I am of an age that I remember old rubber car batteries had an average life of two years and exhausts about 18 months with new car warranties at six months. This was back in the 1960's and early 70's. That was then and now is now, thank goodness.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

As should every component in the car, but it's hardly a monetary-viable solution is it.

Reply to
David R

I fully charged it with a 3 phase charger

What is a three phase charger?

then let it stand

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

I have the same self-congratulating experience. However, according to the experts:

1) "You should replace your battery before the 4th winter season, even if it appears fine. The cold temperature reduces battery power."
"When should I replace my car battery?") 2) "The expected lifetime of a starting battery in true starting use is 3-5 years. In deep-cycle service, expect less than 2 years."
"Automotive Starting Batteries) I have been lucky, I guess. My current OEM battery has been in use for more than 5½ years, and my car starts at the first turn of the key every time; it never fails, and the headlights are bright and beautiful!
Reply to
Lin Chung

I assume a charger that runs off three phase (f*ck knows why, I've got a charger / starter that'll start a 7.5 tonner with a Perkins Phaser from cold that runs off normal leccy).

Reply to
Doki

"Three stages--bulk, absorption and float are normally used for wet car* and motive deep cycle batteries with an optional equalizing stage."

(Under 9.1)The BAF(E) are explained with graph plots of the relationship betweenvoltage and current changes. There are now charges operating just in thisfashion in the market for under £20.

*Wet car batteries are the lead-acid variety you use in your car everyday.
Reply to
Lin Chung

More advertising bollocks. Probably means three stage. Suddenly batteries have changed to needing these 'special' chargers. Pity they didn't tell the alternators...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Care to explain why?

The original fitment in my '99 Focus still starts it first touch of the key.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

After some googling it would appear that although the voltage reading is showing 100% SoC, the SG figures show around 75% based on these figures.

100% 1.255 - 1.275 75% 1.215 - 1.235 50% 1.180 - 1.200 25% 1.155 - 1.165 0% 1.110 - 1.130

I read that sulfation can cause a higher resistance and give a false higher volt reading so I think for peace of mind it may be a good time to change before the really cold weather kicks in.

Reply to
redwood

All I can say is that not everything you read on the internet is pure gold. In fact a lot of it is bollocks. If the battery starts your car, it is fine. It could fail before its fourth winter but a quality battery will fail nearer its 14th. There is no risk to waiting until a battery is on its way out before replacing it.

You are not lucky at all. You are normal. Battery life depends on the quality, the build, the specification in relation to its use, its duty cycle and the environment in which it is kept. Extreme heat or cold will reduce battery life but to try and put a set time on battery life is plain stupid.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Oh yeah. Peace of mind is worth wasting money on.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

This is true - the battery will supply less current at a low temperature, and the car may require more current to start.

This is not really false.

It depends - if the possibility of a failing battery presenting as the car not starting at all one morning is 30%, then are you willing to spend 40-50 quid a year or several before you otherwise might to eliminate this possibility?

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Ignoring that what you said doesn't even make sense, care to explain why a battery which is working perfectly should be changed after four years?

Reply to
David Taylor

However that's not solved by a blanket 4 year replacement policy, it's a waste of money on most cars, but will leave you stuffed on many a diesel landrover.

Reply to
Duncan Wood