Is my Fiesta rattling or knocking?

For a few years, my 2003 Zetec Fiesta has made a fairly annoying rattling noise under acceleration. It sounds like knocking (or pinking, I was never sure if there's a difference) to me, but I thought they didn't do that anymore. Unless something in the PCM is wrong? I don't see any codes displayed. It doesn't always do it, but you can generally provoke it, even at something like 3000RPM, which I'd have previously thought was too high for knocking (given the usual causes in the good ole days).

Or is it just something rattling? I know it's hard for anyone to say, without actually hearing it, but if it is knocking, what might I look for?

Reply to
Etaoin Shrdlu

A few years ago a colleague had an Escort with a CVH engine. Sounded just like pinking to both of us, turned out to be loose exhaust manifold bolts causing a small leak.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Well no-one has said that it's likely to be actual pinking, and you seem to suggest that mechanical rattling is more likely, so that's sort of encouraging. I've grabbed and shaken most things that I can reach, and not found anything yet (although it did alert me to a worn track rod end recently). I've not tried the manifold nuts, but will do so at the weekend. As far as I can tell, though, the manicat on this thing hasn't been touched. I think it's more likely that it's just fallen apart inside, but I think the oxygen sensor would probably complain about that.

Reply to
Etaoin Shrdlu