Is number plate lens missing an MOT fail?

If the number plate lens is missing is that an MOT fail? The light works fine but the actual plastic lens cover is missing? It's an old car and a trip to the scrapyard to try and find one.

Reply to
dave

Yes.

Reply to
Huge

Are you sure?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

No. But I got failed for one. So yes. :o)

Something about "all lights in good working order."

Reply to
Huge

The link I posted:

has a section at the end devoted to number plate lights. The reasons for rejection are:

  1. A rear registration plate lamp: a. does not illuminate simultaneously with the position lamps

b. not fitted

c. insecure

d. with any lamp not working

e. not illuminating the rear registration plate

f. shows white light directly to the rear.

Nowhere does it say 'all lights in good working order' so I would imagine you could have appealed it.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

some lens covers incorporate a shield to prevent white light showing to the rear, if that is missing then it is a fail. but there is nothing to stop you making something up to do the job.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Thanks all. It's only a '93 Micra - but keeps me on the road. No white light is visible to the rear as it's underneath the tailgate lift handle. I tried an online bits spares thing and got 2 quotes both about £35! I think they must think I was looking for something else!

Reply to
dave
[...]

In your position, I would ask the tester for his opinion before presenting the car. You may not get a helpful response, but would lose nothing.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Whatever happened to the good old days when you could bung a tester 10 bob to sort out a small infraction like this?

Reply to
Joe 60
[...]

In the 'good old days', a test didn't cost 10 bob!

The original '10-year test' was 7/6. (37.5 pence in new money.) An enterprising local garage started testing on a Saturday morning. You basically queued up outside, and hoped you got in by noon, when they closed the doors.

The tester jumped in the first car in the line, drove it in the workshop, gave it a cursory visual, took it out for a lap of his test route, and in the meantime his assistant in the office wrote out the pass certificate.

It was necessary to leave a 10 shilling note in the ashtray in order to guarantee a pass, and you never got the change...

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Isn't this the sort of thing where you could cut a piece of suitable plastic sheet to fit? That stuff that is used for packaging small items, two "bubbled" pieces welded together that are almost impossible to cut open without destroying the instructions are one source. Or the tubs from washing machine detergent capsules.

Reply to
newshound

the rate for a test without seeing the vehicle is now 80 quid, that is inflation for you.

Reply to
Mrcheerful